Jeffrey S. HautAssociate Jeffrey.Haut@gtlaw.com
Jeffrey S. Haut is a member of the Litigation and Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practices in Greenberg Traurig’s West Palm Beach office. Jeffrey has a comprehensive trial and appellate practice focused on counseling large corporate clients, non-profits, governmental entities, and individuals through a broad range of state and federal litigation matters.
Jeffrey practices principally in the areas of business and commercial litigation, including cases involving contractual disputes, breaches of promissory notes and personal guarantees, shareholder and partnership disputes, and complex “bet the company” litigation matters. Additionally, Jeffrey has represented clients in litigation arising from insurance coverage disputes, construction disputes, real property and zoning disputes, condominium disputes, and employment disputes.
Jeffrey also has experience in defending municipalities in 42 U.S.C. § 1983 civil rights claims, bringing and defending eminent domain and inverse condemnation actions under the United States and Florida Constitutions, securities litigation and FINRA arbitration, mass torts and products liability, class action defense, and defending various forms of negligence and personal injury claims.
In the privacy and cybersecurity arena, Jeffrey assists clients in matters arising from data breaches, cybersecurity incidents, real estate closing and wire transfer fraud, and business email compromise schemes.
- As Counsel of Record, opposed pro se (unrepresented) petitioner’s timely-filed petition for review of Final Judgment of Dismissal in 42 U.S.C. § 1983 civil rights lawsuit filed against various current and former officers of municipal police department. Reported as: Topa v. Kerbs, et al., 140 S. Ct. 939, 205 L. Ed. 2d 525 (2020).°
- Prepared jurisdictional briefs opposing petitioner’s request to accept review of Abu-Khadier v. City of Fort Myers, 312 So. 3d 975 (Fla. 2d DCA 2020) and Abu-Khadier v. City of Fort Myers, 313 So. 3d 704 (Fla. 2d DCA 2020) based on alleged “express and direct conflict” with Keshbro v. City of Miami, 801 So. 2d 864 (Fla. 2001).°
- Drafted answer briefs on behalf of municipality in related inverse condemnation appeals, holding that nuisance exception under Keshbro v. City of Miami applied to landowner’s claims and precluded entitlement to compensation under Florida Constitution and United States Constitution following one-year closure of landowner’s grocery store pursuant to nuisance abatement board order. Reported as: Abu-Khadier v. City of Fort Myers, 312 So. 3d 975 (Fla. 2d DCA 2020) and Abu-Khadier v. City of Fort Myers, 313 So. 3d 704 (Fla. 2d DCA 2020).°
- In consolidated appeals raising First and Second Amendment issues, prepared successful merits briefs challenging stalking injunctions entered against property owner pursuant to Section 784.0485, Fla. Stat. in connection with ongoing business dispute. Reported as: Laquidara v. Houghtaling, 320 So. 3d 243 (Fla. 2d DCA 2021).°
- As lead counsel in appeal raising an issue of first impression before the court, obtained ruling holding that defendants, a Bahamian company and a Mexican citizen, waived their timely objections to personal jurisdiction by seeking attorneys’ fees in their motions to dismiss. Reported as: Stafford-Smith, Inc. v. TBI Caribbean Construction, 239 So. 3d 243 (Fla. 3d DCA 2017).°
- Prepared written submissions in interlocutory appeal challenging order granting motion to disburse rents during pendency of commercial foreclosure. (Settled prior to ruling).°
- Prepared jurisdictional portions of brief opposing exercise of appellate jurisdiction over interlocutory summary judgment order in connection with declaratory judgment action brought against master condominium association.°
- Representation of surplus line insurer in declaratory judgment action relating to coverage for underlying putative class action lawsuits.
- Prepared motion to remand inverse condemnation proceeding to state court on the basis that statutory exception to requirement that notice of removal be within 30-days of service, which allowed for removal if initial case was not removable, did not apply to defendant’s notice to remove. Reported as: Myakka River Resort, LLC v. City of North Port, 469 F. Supp. 3d 1323 (M.D. Fla. 2020).°
- Representation of a major rental car company in connection with personal injury and other liability matters, including catastrophic injury cases.
- Representation of hotel owners in several putative class action matters seeking monetary damages and declaratory relief under Florida Condominium Act.
- Representation of major technology company in connection with premises liability action.
- Represented homeowner in certiorari proceedings before circuit court in connection with challenge to special exception granted by municipality to adjoining property owner. °
- Represented corporation in appeal to circuit court of adverse small claims judgment. °
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Haut prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, P.A.
- Summer Law Clerk, Hon. Christine Greider, Twentieth Judicial Circuit of Florida, 2014
Anerkennung durch den Markt
- Rated, AV Preeminent®
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America®, "Ones to Watch"
- Appellate Practice, 2021-2023
- Privacy and Data Security, 2021-2023
- Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023
- Selected, Naples Illustrated, Top Lawyers
- Appellate Practice, 2021
- Commercial Litigation, 2019
°AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM and Martindale-Hubbell NotableSM are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies.
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAAP)
- Associate Leadership Collier™ (formerly Growing Associates in Naples (GAIN)™), The Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce, Class of 2019
- Youth Leadership Collier™, The Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce™, 2008
- B.A., magna cum laude, Florida Gulf Coast University
- J.D., Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida