GT Shareholder Howard Jeruchimowitz was a panelist on the Strafford live webinar, "Lease Enforcement and Remedies: Structuring Key Provisions for Eviction, Self-Help, Injunction, Action for Damages," on Thursday, January 7, 2021. The CLE webinar provided real estate counsel a better understanding of how courts interpret and enforce leases. The panel reviewed the lease provisions essential to the practical exercise of remedies by the landlord and defenses that may be available to the tenant. The panel also discussed the eviction process, collection of damages, and other post-eviction issues.
Additional noteworthy issues discussed included:
- What are the standard landlord remedies for a tenant default under a lease?
- What provisions should every lease contain to allow for proper exercise of those remedies?
- What defenses do tenants typically raise in response to eviction and other actions?
- How does the process and timing of an eviction action vary between commercial and residential leases?
- How do you dispose of personal property of the tenant in bankruptcy?