Our Cybersecurity & Privacy Practice
Greenberg Traurig's Cybersecurity & Privacy Practice features a multidisciplinary team of attorneys who counsel clients on their data security, incident response, privacy, and information management needs. We advise on a wide variety of cybersecurity and privacy matters, including privacy audits, policies, and procedures; risk mitigation; data security and PCI compliance; GDPR compliance, CCPA compliance, employee privacy; record retention and electronic discovery; international and cross-border data transfer; data breach readiness, response and crisis management; and data privacy, security breach, CAN-SPAM Act, and TCPA issues. Our attorneys are well-versed in privacy and data security-related legislation and regulations in the United States on both state and federal levels, as well as in the European Union (GDPR), Mexico, and Asia. We assist clients in becoming compliant with cybersecurity rules, regulations and initiatives issued by the US Securities and Exchange Commission, FINRA, FFIEC and OCC. GT lawyers also defend data privacy, security breach, and TCPA class action suits in the United States. Our team delivers an integrated approach in addressing enterprise legal, business, and security needs. The ingenuity and versatility of our attorneys, coupled with our global network, allow us to develop effective, widespread strategies for addressing cybersecurity, data, and privacy matters worldwide.
Our Emerging Technology Practice
Greenberg Traurig's Emerging Technology Practice is a multidisciplinary legal team focused on representing entrepreneurs and investors. Our LEEP (Launch, Emerge, Expand, Propel) Program is designed to provide start-ups and early-stage companies with the education, mentorship, connections and legal guidance needed to help them succeed. Through this program we advise companies and investors through all stages of development, from initial business formation through angel or venture capital ﬁnancing to initial public offerings and mergers and acquisitions. Drawing on the firm’s broad platform, we offer emerging technology clients a streamlined approach to meet their diverse legal needs – a single team that can scale up our services as our clients’ businesses grow. From corporate and financing transactions, IP protection and software/IT matters, to labor and employment, compensation, immigration, and tax issues, we regularly advise clients on key legal issues involved with any technology investment.
Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, & Internet of Things (IoT)
A large focus of this practice centers around GT’s Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, & Internet of Things (IoT) Group, which brings together a multidisciplinary team of attorneys to provide legal services related to artificial intelligence, Big Data, IoT, connected objects, augmented reality, robotics, machine learning applications, cloud services, and other advanced technologies. At the earliest stages of development of a product or service, we assist the client in identifying and addressing compliance and financing requirements associated with their research and development efforts, due diligence preparation, or a financing event. Throughout the development process, we help creators, marketers, and investors understand, evaluate, and assess the potential legal and regulatory constraints, disclosure, and recordkeeping requirements; establish and implement financing or IP protection strategies; and negotiate, prepare for, or complete a financing, contract, or corporate transaction. This area is in constant evolution and our team is committed to assisting clients in reaching new frontiers. Our global team stays abreast of existing laws and recent decisions and keeps track of legal trends, upcoming bills, and technical developments, helping clients anticipate and prepare for upcoming compliance requirements and legal and regulatory changes. With a global team of attorneys skilled in compliance, guidance and enforcement, technology financing, data privacy, cybersecurity, intellectual property protection, regulatory and government law, licensing and commercialization, and tort defense, our trusted advisors develop innovative and versatile legal and financing strategies to assist businesses in remaining at the forefront of emerging industries.
Our Innovative Client Services
GT has been successful in developing solutions to alleviate client frustration from managing multiple similar litigation matters at one time. For example, we created a proprietary client management micro-site to track the status and details of multiple litigation matters for a large retail client. In addition to providing for better case management, the client uses this site to glean insights from and recognize patterns for their respective matters. The website also allows the client to monitor case status without having to depend on direct attorney interaction via email or phone calls.
In another example, we developed a litigation case database that allowed our client and attorneys to more effectively organize, aggregate and analyze large volumes of important case related data. The database cut down on the significant amount of time spent investigating and comparing the details of thousands of similarly situated cases. Through the creation of this tool the client is now able to focus on recognizing valuable patterns and developing strategic insights which ultimately enhanced the client’s ability to defend itself in multi-party litigation.
Another value-add we offer are in-house CLEs in litigation areas of interest or to proactively address issues more broadly impacting your industry. Following a discussion with Toyota Legal, we would design a program of offerings that would build on our understanding of your culture, your people and business.
From the outset of an engagement, clients want to understand how a law firm can help them, who is going to help them, and at what cost. We also recognize that clients need their representative firms to better leverage their knowledge and data to provide unique legal insights that can give them an advantage in the market. Clients want the costs of legal services to match how much they value those services, they want staffing to be optimized, and they want technology used to increase productivity. With that in mind, we have a dedicated innovative client services team that is able to create customized communication plans and design technology efficiency tools.
At GT, we have a dedicated innovative client services team that acts as an internal consulting group to promote productivity and collaboration, internally and on behalf of our clients. The team is organized around several primary business units that can be leveraged by our attorneys to deliver the highest quality client experience, which includes:
- Optimized Staffing: Our staffing team crafts solutions outside of the historic partner, associate and paralegal model, from staff augmentation to insource expertise, to deliver top quality legal advice at a price point aligned with our clients’ cost expectations.
- eDiscovery & eRetention: Greenberg Traurig’s eDiscovery & eRetention Practice helps companies understand what information is within their control and how to manage information to reduce litigation risk. Our interdisciplinary eRetention team — comprised of trial, corporate and securities, intellectual property and labor and employment lawyers, as well as in-house technology professionals — brings together the experience needed to counsel clients throughout the world about managing information cost-effectively and in compliance with the law. This includes a team of over 30 attorneys who, based on their experience, background, judgment and training on eDiscovery issues, have been certified by the practice leaders as official Firm eDiscovery attorneys. Our eDiscovery team has consulted in hundreds of cases with trial counsel to make eDiscovery work for parties that seek — or seek to protect — information.
- Productivity Applications: From advanced document preparation software, to artificially intelligent due diligence software and enhanced video conference services, there are many technologies that our productivity applications team deploys to improve the efficiency and ease of how you experience the legal services our lawyers provide.
- Value-Based Pricing: GT partners with its clients to create and implement alternative fee arrangements that provide value. The most important aspect of implementing successful fee arrangements with our clients is clearly defining expectations, scope of assignment and key assumptions. Our specialized pricing team combined with our state-of-art technology and data management tools enable us to develop and track alternative fee arrangements, build and monitor comprehensive budgets on a daily basis, and catalog matters in order to identify trends, predict future outcomes and fine-tune our fee estimates.
- Our Matter Intelligence Team: Assists in assuring these processes are developed and implemented for our clients’ fee arrangements.
- Strategic Legal Insights: Through data analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence and many other emerging tools, our team harnesses our vast experience and knowledge resources to provide unparalleled strategic legal insights to our clients.
- Process Improvement: We recognize that gathering and understanding client feedback is essential. We consult directly with clients to determine if an engagement achieved the desired goals, as well as identify the challenges and impediments to our success.
- Culture of Innovation: GT’s unique culture empowers our attorneys to make decisions in the best interests of our clients; this fosters innovation and allows us to challenge the status quo. It is a commitment by the firm to provide the best client service using market leading tools, technology and people.
For decades, GT has fostered a culture of entrepreneurship and collaboration, positioning our attorneys to provide the quality and value our clients seek. We have always looked outside of the traditional legal model for ways to provide better service to our clients, and fifty-plus years after our founding, we remain focused on developing industry-leading strategies that help our clients navigate the ever-changing legal and business environments.
At GT, we are consistently challenging ourselves to seek out ways to improve client experience, maintain a habit of improvement, and to cultivate innovation in every lawyer and business professional across the firm. The following are several examples of recent innovation client stories and solutions we have proactively designed with, and on behalf of, our clients.