Ellen Berkowitz provides strategic, legal, business, and political advice to clients involved in the development of real property throughout California. She represents clients before government agencies in connection with land use approvals and compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), as well as related litigation arising from project challenges under land use regulations. Ellen is recognized for her ability to fully understand the unique business and political interests impacting her clients’ development projects, and use that knowledge to navigate the often competing interests of her clients, the community and the governing authorities. Her pragmatic approach has resulted in numerous approvals for some of the most complex and controversial land use projects in California.
Ellen also has a wide-ranging background in governmental advocacy. She represents clients in connection with local government contracting issues, compliance with governmental regulations, and political reform for a variety of sectors including airport concessions, billboards, energy, advertising, pipeline franchises, restaurants, health facilities, and sports and entertainment venues.
- Affordable and workforce housing
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
- Condominium and mixed-use developments
- Economic development and incentives
- Environmental and natural resources policy and regulation
- Government contracts
- Health care real estate
- Industrial leasing and development
- Infill and transit-oriented developments
- Land use and development
- Land use litigation
- Local government advocacy
- Master-planned communities and subdivisions