Michael Taylor is Chair of the Greenberg Traurig OSHA Practice group. Michael focuses his practice exclusively on representing and advising employers from a broad range of industries across the country regarding workplace safety and health matters. Over the last eighteen years, Michael has represented scores of employers during federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) litigation, as well as many state OSHA litigation matters, including, but not limited to, Virginia OSHA; California OSHA; North and South Carolina OSHA; Kentucky OSHA; and Nevada OSHA. Many of these representations have involved a significant injury, fatality, or catastrophic event in the workplace. Michael also provides federal and state OSHA compliance counseling, inspection counseling, whistleblower representation, and due diligence reviews for clients. Michael also represents employers regarding concurring Chemical Safety Board investigations. Michael has wide-ranging experience representing employers in the construction, oil, gas, and chemical manufacturing industries. In addition to his OSHA work, Michael advises clients relating to the EPA's Risk Management Plan (RMP) Rule under the Clean Air Act.
Michael previously served as General Counsel to the federal Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission, the agency in charge of adjudicating workplace safety and health disputes between federal OSHA and the regulated community.
In 2020, Michael was recognized as a "Labor & Employment Star" in the Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment rankings, and, in 2013, EHS Today named Michael as one of the Top 50 People Who Most Influenced Environmental, Health, and Safety. Michael is also the Founder and Host of the Greenberg Traurig Workplace Safety Review Podcast, where he interviews influential environmental, health, and safety professionals across the country regarding timely and important topics in the environmental, health, and safety world.
Podcast | Workplace Safety Review
- Episode 17 | Special Guest: Jess McCluer, National Grain and Feed Association
- Episode 16 | Special Guest: Richard Levick – Richard discusses his work as the chairman and CEO of LEVICK, a crisis PR firm.
- Episode 15 | Special Guest: Mark Catlin, Industrial Hygienist, MDC Consulting and Training – Mark addresses his work with the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup, his work at SEIU assisting unions after workplace fatalities at industrial sites, the H1N1, Ebola, and COVID-19 pandemics, and how OSHA has changed over the last 40 years.
- Episode 14 | Special Guest: Mark Rothstein, University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law and School of Medicine Director – Mark discusses employer mandated vaccines dealing with COVID-19.
- Episode 13 | Special Guest: Marc Freedman, U.S. Chamber of Commerce VP of Employment Policy – Marc talks about OSHA under the new administration and what to expect from an OSHA Emergency Temporary Standard on COVID-19
- Episode 12 | Special Guest: Amanda Wood Laihow, Commissioner of the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission – Amanda talks about what the regulatory community needs to know about litigating cases before OSHRC.
- Episode 11 | Special Guest: Francene Diehl, Corporate Director of Safety for Chesapeake Utilities Corporation – Francene talks about diversity in the environmental, health and safety community and what needs to be done.
- Episode 10 | Special Guest: Richard Fairfax, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Labor for federal OSHA – Rich talks about OSHA Enforcement over the last 50 years and its future in workplace safety and health.
- Episode 9 | Michael Taylor and Adam Roseman talk about what lies ahead under the Biden Administration regarding workplace safety and health issues.
- Episode 8 | Special Guest: Doug Parker, Cal-OSHA Chief – Doug discusses the new California COVID-19 Temporary Standard and the plans Cal-OSHA has for 2021.
- Episode 7 | Special Guest: Quentin Baker, President of Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants – Quentin discusses what EHS professionals need to know regarding accident investigations.
- Episode 6 | Special Guest: Jess Lankford, Nevada OSHA Chief – Jess discusses the new Nevada COVID-19 regulations.
- Episode 5 | Special Guest: David Moore, President of AcuTech Consulting – David discusses the 30th Anniversary of the Process Safety Management standard.
- Episode 4 | Special Guest: Greg Richey, former President of Colden Corporation – Greg discusses how to determine whether an employee contracting COVID-19 is work-related.
- Episode 3 | Special Guest: Hamid Arabzadeh, President of HRA Environmental Consultants – Hamid discusses recordkeeping issues associated with COVID-19.
- Episode 2 | Special Guest: Mike Hazzan, Technical Manager of Acutech Consulting – Mike discusses how the COVID-19 pandemic was impacting how companies address process safety management issues.
- Episode 1 | Special Guest: John Howard, Director of the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health – John discusses NIOSH and CDC guidance for employers regarding COVID-19.