NEW YORK – June 11, 2019 -- Global law firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP has announced its founding of "Recurve." Recurve will be a first-of-its-kind global shared services platform intended to facilitate open collaboration among clients, trusted legal advisors and tech, staffing, space, and other experts in services which support innovation, efficiencies, and value in the delivery of legal services. While the law firm is its founder, Recurve itself will not engage in the practice of law and will ultimately include a number of strategic members engaged in various of its core focus areas, including the firm as its founding member.
Recurve's core focus areas are intended to include innovations in technology solutions, artificial intelligence, project management, alternative staffing, novel space innovations and other developing aides for lawyers and clients which do not involve the actual practice of law.
“Recurve will work outside the traditional legal model to provide previously unavailable tools and efficiencies in the legal ecosystem, bringing together diverse talents and resources across the globe in a collaborative platform aimed at industry-wide innovation to help attorneys and clients adapt to the rapidly changing legal landscape,” said Richard A. Rosenbaum, Executive Chairman of Greenberg Traurig. “We are pleased to establish this unique and nimble business, initially as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Greenberg Traurig. Utilizing investments by strategic partners involved in its core disciplines and other equity investors experienced in the space to fund its capital requirements and operational needs, Recurve is intended to become the first law-firm founded, third-party financed global collaboration platform solely focused on creative innovation in the support of the delivery of legal services.”
Recurve will be staffed by a lean and experienced team of innovation "architects", well versed in client needs, the advantages of the traditional law firm model and the wide array of growing resources in the legal innovation marketplace. This team will serve as the point of contact for Recurve's clients to identify their needs and design appropriate solutions; but it will not itself execute them or otherwise engage in legal practice.
When it is determined that support or innovation solutions might be most possible outside the traditional law firm environment, the Recurve experts will seek out best-in-class solutions from its strategic members and others based solely on what is deemed best for its clients, and then coordinate and facilitate the delivery of those solutions. The initial focus will be on:
- creating and leveraging advanced technology solutions and products;
- value-based budgeting and pricing;
- optimized staffing;
- process innovation;
- creative and nimble office space solutions; and
- suggestions as to in-house legal functions and staffing.
Recurve will seek to add unique value to lawyers and their firms, clients, and service providers alike:
- It will help lawyers meet client demands for innovation, without themselves making significant investments in people, process, and technology.
- It will help traditional law firms address the capital and operational challenges they face as a result of client demand for better, faster, and more value-based services in an ever-changing marketplace.
- It will enable clients to achieve greater value for their legal spend, taking advantage of cutting-edge technologies and other legal support service solutions, without sacrificing the personal involvement and other benefits provided by their trusted legal counselors and advisors.
- Importantly, clients will also gain the benefit of Recurve's objective judgment as to the best available solutions, rather than being forced to use the solutions or products their law firms or other service providers happen to use or own, whether or not current or the best for that client.
- Tech, staffing, space, and so-called alternative legal service providers will benefit by focusing on their specific areas of expertise while benefitting from Recurve's broad industry and geographic knowledge and reach, customer base and collaborative strategic members.
In addition to Rosenbaum, other key GT personnel have been involved in the multi-year planning and execution of this effort. They include Shareholder Thomas B. Romer of the firm's Denver office, a leader in the firm's innovation efforts, Jarosław Grzesiak, the managing shareholder of the law firm's Warsaw, Poland office, and a support committee of shareholders and business staff managers appointed by the firm's Executive Committee earlier this year.
Recurve will establish headquarters in Warsaw, Tel Aviv, and Denver, with operations in strategically selected locations, including Austin, Texas, Berlin, Germany, and South Florida. More information regarding the company's early strategic partners and initial product offerings, and its website, will be available shortly.