Steven Katleman represents creators, producers, distributors (domestic and international) and financiers of content in all media, emphasizing television, digital media, and motion pictures.
His clients include production companies and suppliers to television networks and digital platforms – as well as the digital platforms that commission and/or produce and distribute content. Steve also partners with individual artists such as writers, producers, performers, and directors, representing them in all areas of media.
Steve counsels clients with respect to their strategies for expanding and evolving their business models in order to stay ahead of the curve in the rapidly changing media landscape. This includes, among other things, assisting digital platforms in expanding their businesses into traditional media, as well as guiding producers and broadcasters in expanding their businesses into digital media.
In addition, Steve handles a variety of other content-related matters, such as product integration, entertainment marketing, book publishing, celebrity endorsements and merchandising arrangements.
- Consultation, negotiation, and contract preparation on behalf of producers, writers, performers, and directors in television, digital media, and motion pictures
- Consultation, negotiation, and contract preparation with respect to content-related matters for production and distribution in television and digital media, such as arrangements with producers of original content for development and production, distribution of content off-platform, and acquisition of third-party content
- License and production agreements on behalf of producers and program suppliers to broadcast networks, cable networks, syndicators, and digital platforms
- Domestic and international production finance, co-finance, and distribution transactions for television, digital, and motion picture projects
- Production-related matters, such as engagement of talent and others, arrangements with third party providers of goods and services to be included in the production, guild-related matters, state and international subsidies and incentives for local productions, and assistance with general oversight of legal-related matters
- Risk management with respect to liability based on content (such as evaluation of risk of third-party claims such as defamation, invasion of privacy, etc.) as well as respect to hazardous activities that may occur over the course of a production
- Oversight of content-related matters in connection with merger and acquisition transactions
- Participation and contingent compensation arrangements, including supervision of participation audits
- Complex rights and literary property matters
- Entertainment marketing and product integration matters for international advertisers and brands
- Celebrity endorsement and sponsorship matters
- Merchandising, commercials, and direct marketing
- Publication agreements