GT Shareholder Joel Feldman, Co-Chair of the Trademark & Brand Management Group, will speak at INTA's 2021 Brand Resilience: Risk, Recovery, and the Future of the Brand Practitioner Conference on September 22-23. The virtual conference will focus on the risks that brands face, how they navigate missteps, mishaps or misdeeds, and the future of brands and brand legal practitioners. On September 22, Joel will be a panelist during the "Cancel Culture: Now You See Me, Now You Won't," session that will feature a keynote interview with Professor Loretta Ross on "Challenging the Call-Out Culture." The concept of boycotts or ostracizing a celebrity or brand have been around for decades, but social media has given rise to “cancel culture,” where individuals and businesses can be boycotted in 160 characters or less. While social media provides businesses and individuals with a platform to timely engage with the public, it has also provided the public with a platform to question the actions of individuals and businesses, resulting in sometimes swift and costly retaliation and accountability.
Topics addressed in the "Cancel Culture: Now You See Me, Now You Won’t" session will include:
- Cultural misappropriation
- Missteps in use of intellectual property – from memes to montages
- Influencers: how to meet, marry and break-up with minimal negative impact on brand reputation…
- How to counsel your business teams so that they can have uncomfortable conversations and come out stronger on the other side
- Managing outspoken business leaders and their potential impact on the brand