Joel H. Rothstein is an international real estate and structured finance lawyer and Chair of Greenberg Traurig’ s Asia Real Estate Practice. Based in Tokyo, Shanghai and New York, he advises investment banks, financial institutions, private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds, real estate developers, and investors across all major Asia markets with a particular focus on Greater China, Japan, and South Korea. He also leads the firm’s practice in advising Asia-based outbound cross-border investors in structuring, implementing, and managing equity and debt investments into the United States, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.
Whether Joel is advising a United States-based private equity fund in structuring a tokutei mokuteki kaisha (TMK) in Japan for a landmark Tokyo office building investment, a European-based insurance company in forming a Sino-foreign joint venture for a logistics facilities portfolio in China, a Singapore-based fund sponsor in creating an offshore fund targeting real estate assets in Europe, or a Hong Kong-based asset management company in creating and managing a club fund investment platform to invest in hotel properties across the United States, clients rely upon the deep experience he brings to cross-border deals. Joel offers clients knowledge of optimal legal and tax structures for cross-border deals, the ability to navigate complex governmental reviews and approvals relating to foreign investment, an understanding of the complexity and timing of repatriating investment capital through multiple jurisdictions, and practical knowledge of local market practices and procedures required to get a deal done.
With more than twenty years’ experience in Asia, Joel has structured, documented, and implemented a number landmark transactions and investment programs in the region, including the first rating agency rated commercial mortgaged-backed securities transaction in Japan, the first non-performing loan securitization transactions completed in Japan and in South Korea, the first comingled USD/RMB real estate fund sponsored by a Chinese financial institution targeting United States real estate assets and the first international style non-recourse real estate loan by a financial institution in China.
A New York native, in addition to practicing law, Joel is an urban designer whose work prior to becoming an attorney included numerous architecture and urban design projects around the world, from Cartagena, Colombia, South America to Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Real estate venture formation and complex cross-border joint ventures
- Fund vehicle formation and management
- Real estate finance including senior, mezzanine and preferred equity structures
- Asset securitization and secondary trading of loan assets
- Non-performing loan (NPL) and hard asset portfolio acquisitions and dispositions
- Property acquisitions and dispositions
- Real estate equity and debt capital markets, including REITs
- Asset and property management
- Leasing, franchising, servicing, and operation agreements
- Construction and development
- EB-5 capital raise
- Hotel and resort finance, development, and management
- Infrastructure projects and public-private partnerships