David E. SellingerShareholder firstname.lastname@example.org
David E. Sellinger focuses his practice on complex civil litigation matters, including class action defense, trial in federal and state courts, and in arbitrations. He has over thirty years of litigation experience in which he has represented corporate and individual clients in a broad array of lawsuits. David has represented corporations sued in class actions brought in both state and federal courts involving claims for consumer fraud, product liability, and violations of various state and federal statutes. He has handled cases in multi-district litigation (MDL) proceedings. In addition, he is currently involved in overseeing product liability class actions throughout the country for a national retailer as a member of GT's team serving as the client's national coordinating counsel for class actions. In the past, David also has represented institutional investors as plaintiffs in class actions involving claims of securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
David has handled an array of shareholder disputes and business torts matters, as well as patent damages litigation. As a trial lawyer, David is willing to try cases where the client's interests call for trial but has also resolved and narrowed litigation before trial. David brings his experience to bear in finding cost-effective resolutions of litigation matters. A former Assistant United States Attorney, he also represents clients in white-collar criminal matters, including parallel criminal, civil, administrative proceedings and internal investigations. He has written and spoken on various litigation topics, including the defense of class action litigation.
- Class action defense
- Complex civil litigation
- White collar criminal defense
Esperienze Professionali - Attività Accademiche
- Representation of Toshiba Corporation in putative nationwide class action involving HD DVD players. In this multi-district litigation alleging consumer fraud, the complaint was completely dismissed on a motion to dismiss.
- Representation of Fortune 50 company in putative nationwide FLSA collective action in which certification of collective action was defeated at conditional certification stage.
- Representation of retailer in putative statewide class action in California in which court granted no merit motion on plaintiffs’ lead claim under Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
- As member of Greenberg Traurig's team serving as national coordinating counsel for class actions for a Fortune 50 company, David is responsible for overseeing product liability class actions throughout the country.
- Represented nationwide door manufacturer in a multi-party construction defect case in state court in New Jersey in which the claimed damages totaled several million dollars. Client was sued for contribution, indemnification, and contributory negligence, and reached a settlement.
- Representation of a Fortune 50 company in a statewide wage and hour class action involving approximately 100,000 employees in New Jersey, in which the litigation was settled on favorable terms last year.
- Counsel for a Fortune 50 company in defense of a putative FCRA class action in which negotiations were handled resulting in dismissal of the company at an early stage and without any payment.
- Counsel for Verizon Wireless in defense of putative FDCPA class action in which Verizon Wireless successfully enforced arbitration clause, resulting in stay pending arbitration, with suit ultimately being settled by co-defendant on favorable terms.
- Counsel for Live Nation in putative statewide class action involving consumer fraud claims (pending).
- Representation of a state pension fund in a shareholder opt-out action in In Re Enron.°
- Lead counsel for investors in an arbitration against tax shelter promoter, winning multi-million dollar award at trial.°
- Lead counsel for a law firm in a class action alleging mortgage-related fraud, successfully negotiating a very favorable settlement prior to any discovery.°
- Lead litigation counsel for minority partners in highly-publicized litigation involving breakup of family real estate business with assets worth over $500 million. This matter, which was one of the largest partnership dissolution cases ever litigated in the District of Columbia courts, was settled on favorable terms before trial.°
- Local counsel for Verizon Wireless in a products liability class action involving alleged health risks associated with cell phone use.°
*The above matters were handled by Mr. Sellinger prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Columbia, 1980-1984
- Prosecuted over 35 jury trials
- Law Clerk, Judge Robert A. Ainsworth, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, New Orleans, 1976-1977
Riconoscimenti e Premi
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2022-2023
- Commercial Litigation, 2023
- Team Member, The American Lawyer, “New Jersey Litigation Department of the Year,” 2022
- Team Member, Benchmark Litigation’s “New Jersey Law Firm of the Year,” Shortlisted, 2022
- Team Member, The American Lawyer’s “Regional Litigation Department of the Year – New Jersey,” Finalist, 2019
- Member, Winning Team, New Jersey Law Journal's "Class Action Litigation Department of the Year," 2016
- Team Member, a Law360 "Food & Beverage Practice Group of the Year," 2015
- Listed, The Legal 500 United States
- Commercial Disputes, 2017-2018 and 2020
- Dispute Resolution - Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Actions - Consumer Products (Including Tobacco) - Defense, 2019
- Litigation - Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense - Consumer Products (including tobacco), 2014
- Member, Winning Team, New Jersey Law Journal’s "General Litigation Department of the Year" award, 2013
- Team Member, Lexology’s Client Choice Award USA & Canada, United States: New Jersey, 2013
- Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5.0
°AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM and Martindale-Hubbell NotableSM are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies.A description of the selection methodology for the above awards can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Former President, Assistant U.S. Attorneys' Association for the District of Columbia, 2001-2002
- Former Chair, Litigation Section of the D.C. Bar, 1997-1998
- Former Member, Executive Committee of the Council for Court Excellence, 1996-2000
Laurea magistrale in Giurisprudenza, New York University School of Law
- Articles Editor, New York University Law Review
- Diploma di maturità, Government, cum laude, Harvard College
- Sloan Foundation Fellowship/New York City Urban Fellow, 1970-1971
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida