While the world has changed with recent global events, some things remain constant: financial institutions, companies, and individuals continue to face intense scrutiny and complex challenges from U.S. and foreign law enforcement. The need for experienced, knowledgeable global practitioners available at a moment’s notice is greater than ever. Greenberg Traurig’s White Collar Defense & Special Investigations Practice is made up of over 60 of these highly experienced and knowledgeable global practitioners who are always ready for whatever new challenges may arise. The team includes a significant number of former prosecutors from U.S. and non-U.S. enforcement agencies, with a wide array of experience at the highest levels of federal and state government.
The cases we defend are highly technical, complex, and involve significant exposure for financial institutions, companies, and their executives. Recently, these cases have involved novel government prosecutions involving the manipulation of complex financial products, unique allegations of fraud in the health care industry, and allegations of criminal activity that have evolved out of the recent global crisis. Our team is involved in the various cutting-edge prosecutions that have emerged from this new global status quo.
In an environment of heightened scrutiny with government prosecutors and enforcement attorneys scrutinizing business and regulatory decisions, GT's white collar team works tirelessly to deliver out-of-the box strategies and tactics with the goal of keeping our clients out of jeopardy. Leveraging the insights and experience of our government affairs colleagues, industry experts, compliance professionals, and litigators throughout the firm, we help protect our clients at virtually every level. But when the government is determined to move forward with criminal or civil enforcement decisions, our trial-ready team assists clients at virtually every step of the process. To this end, our white collar team has diverse trial and complex litigation experience against a myriad of government authorities, including the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Offices, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and state Attorneys General.
Our award-winning white collar practice has:
- Former U.S. Attorneys, Assistant U.S. Attorneys, senior DOJ Trial Attorneys, SEC and CFTC enforcement attorneys, state Attorneys General, Assistant District Attorneys, and other federal and state prosecutors. Many of our practitioners have served at the highest level of federal and state government and have collectively tried hundreds of federal and state criminal and civil cases.
- Innovative attorneys who develop and implement integrated “global” strategies by drawing on their substantive knowledge of complex securities and commodities products, banking, fintech/digital assets, health care, international trade, real estate, and other regulated industries.
- Seasoned practitioners who have defended Fortune 500 companies, boards of directors, special committees, and funds and executives around the world at hearings and trials related to allegations of financial and accounting fraud, corporate misconduct, insider trading, securities and commodities fraud, corruption, money laundering, internal investigations, compliance and enforcement under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, healthcare fraud, and environmental crimes.
- Lawyers with vast experience in structuring internal investigations, developing guidelines and implementing compliance programs, and addressing issues of voluntary disclosure.
- Recognitions as market leaders in industry-leading legal directories and publications, including Chambers USA, Law360, The Legal 500 U.S., and Benchmark Litigation.
- Experienced trial lawyers who have litigated successfully against:
- The United States Department of Justice
- U.S. Attorneys’ Offices
- The Securities Exchange Commission (SEC)
- The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)
- The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
- States Attorneys General.
Our attorneys routinely handle complex criminal and civil enforcement matters against federal and state authorities and regulators involving high-profile financial fraud matters, including those involving securities and commodities fraud — such as insider trading and spoofing (having secured the first-ever acquittal in a federal criminal spoofing trial) — accounting fraud, valuation/mismarking fraud, wire/bank/mail fraud, money laundering, and other allegations of fraud involving complex financial instruments. Learn more about our Securities Litigation capabilities.
We also regularly represent clients in international criminal matters, including those related to anti-corruption/the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), representing clients all over the world before international tribunals. We handle international investigations concerning fraud, banking, money laundering, insider trading, RICO, and global anti-corruption. In ongoing representations on five continents, we provide anti-corruption advice in connection with both U.S. and foreign laws. Learn more about our Global Anti-Corruption Enforcement & Compliance capabilities.
We have a dedicated team of attorneys who handle False Claims Act & Qui Tam Defense. Our attorneys rigorously defend institutions and individuals in False Claims Act matters from investigations through trials. Learn more about our False Claims Act & Qui Tam Defense capabilities.
The firm’s Government Law & Policy and White Collar and Special Investigations practices regularly combine their deep institutional and procedural knowledge and experience to work with our clients on responding to congressional investigations and inquiries. Learn more about our Congressional Investigation capabilities.
We also work closely with the firm’s Blockchain & Digital Assets Group and Data, Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice in assisting clients in complex issues involving digital assets, fintech, cyber breach, hacking, and ransomware issues, and data privacy. Our white collar team is nationally recognized for its work in these areas. Learn more about our Blockchain & Digital Assets capabilities. Learn more about our Data, Privacy & Cybersecurity capabilities.
To learn more about our White Collar Defense & Special Investigations capabilities, please feel free to reach out to our White Collar Defense & Special Investigations Practice contacts.