David OrtigozaShareholder David.Ortigoza@gtlaw.com
David Ortigoza focuses his practice on commercial real estate matters, including acquisition and disposition of fee and ground leasehold interests; real property financing and refinancing; lease agreements for office, retail, and industrial properties; and joint venture transactions and sale-leaseback transactions. He also assists clients with matters related to the transactions listed above, such as title, survey, and zoning due diligence; forming entities; negotiating loan agreements; property management agreements; and leasing agreements.
Prior to his legal career, David worked in the commercial real estate industry as an asset manager and workout specialist for distressed commercial real estate assets. He also served as a bond surveillance analyst for a proprietary trader of commercial mortgage-backed securities
- Acquisition of investment grade office, retail, and industrial properties in primary markets
- Negotiation of loan agreements with institutional lenders for purchase financing and refinancing owned real properties
- Title, survey, and zoning due diligence for property acquisitions
- Negotiation of commercial leases for major leases at office, retail, and industrial properties
- Assist asset managers in the management of owned/managed properties such as landlord-tenant issues, vendor contracts, and compliance with loan, legal, and regulatory obligations
- Lead counsel in the acquisition and financing of a mixed-use project consisting of 359 apartments and a first-floor grocery store (reported to be the most expensive multi-family transaction per square foot in state’s history); this was a pre-development deal.
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of a two-building, 169,374 square foot office and retail project in Colorado; this was also a pre-development deal.°
- Lead counsel in the $70 million refinancing of a mixed-use complex in Dallas, Texas, consisting of two 25-floor office towers with 1,090,426 square feet of office space connected by a 13-story atrium and retail space totaling 132,157 square feet.°
- Previously managed the origination of commercial mortgage loans to be bundled into securitized loan pools; prepared offering memorandums, trust documents, and servicing agreements for CMBS and ABS issuances and reviewed loan agreements and ancillary loan documents as part of the legal underwriting for the CMBS issuances.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Ortigoza prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Team Member, Chambers & Partners USA Real Estate Law Firm of the Year, 2018 and 2022
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2019
- J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
B.S., Business Administration and Management, cum laude, University of Southern California
- Emphasis in Finance