Claudia D. Hartleben ‡Of Counsel firstname.lastname@example.org
Claudia Hartleben Dunsch focuses her practice on international trade and investment, representing global companies across sectors in international trade litigation and anti-dumping, countervailing duty, and other trade enforcement proceedings before the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. International Trade Commission, and U.S. federal courts. She provides guidance on trade policy issues involving quotas, duties, and other trade barriers, including navigating Section 232 duties on steel and aluminum products and Section 301 duties on certain Chinese products. Emerging carbon reduction measures in the U.S. and European Union are of special interest to her and her clients.
In international litigation matters, Claudia practices international arbitration with a focus on investment treaty disputes. She has represented clients in the oil and gas, real estate and renewable energy sectors in arbitrations conducted before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and in ad hoc arbitrations pursuant to UNCITRAL arbitration rules. Claudia has deep experience working with sovereigns and private clients in a variety of capacities, including as disputes and due diligence counsel. She regularly advises on questions of public international law, treaty protection and structuring investments.
Claudia represents immigration clients on a pro bono basis. In this capacity, she has conducted front-line counseling to detained migrants on the U.S.–Mexico border, represented minor asylum-seekers from Central America and represented an Afghan family seeking humanitarian parole.
- International arbitration & dispute resolution
- International investment disputes
- International trade litigation
- Anti-dumping proceedings
- Venture capital & emerging businesses
- Representation of Italian steel manufacturing industry before the U.S. International Trade Commission in five-year review of the antidumping order on Cut-to-Length Plate from Italy.
- Represented U.S. nails manufacturing industry in U.S. antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings before the U.S. International Trade Commission and U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Litigated before dispute settlement and resolution panels established under the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).°
- Representation of the Republic of Panama in an ICSID arbitration claim presented by an alleged investor in a renewable energy generation enterprise that is seeking over $100 million in damages for supposed breaches of the Italy-Panama investment treaty.
- Representation of the Republic of Guatemala in an ICSID arbitration claim presented by an alleged Panamanian investor in a renewable energy generation enterprise that is seeking multimillion-dollars in damages for supposed violations of the Panama-Central America investment treaty.
- Represented Latin American State in ICSID arbitration arising from the State’s nationalization of oilfields and related assets.°
- Represented Latin American state-owned oil company in an ICC arbitration involving the termination of a contractual services agreement.°
- Managed corporate due diligence required by third-party litigation funder in preparation for filing of international investment claim involving a Latin American State.°
°The above representations were handled by Ms. Hartleben prior to her joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Member, Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration Mentoring Program, 2015-Present
- Member, Latino Alumni Association of the Washington College of Law, 2014-Present
- Board Member
- American Society of International Law, Women’s Mentoring Program
- Member, Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia, 2011-Present
- Member, Board of Directors, 2014-2015
- Head Coach, American University LL.M. International Arbitration Moot Court, 2013-2015
- Educational Faculty, National Hispanic Institute, 2011-2015
- Mentor/Volunteer, American Bar Association Judicial Internship Opportunity Program, 2011-2016
- 法務博士, American University Washington College of Law
- 学士号, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Spanish, Native
- Italian, Basic Proficiency