Fernando Orrantia DworakShareholder email@example.com
Fernando Orrantia Dworak focuses his practice in the real estate, commercial and corporate law aspects of clients participating in diverse industries, including port services, petrochemical, and hospitality services, advising clients in complex international joint venture operations, mergers, acquisition and divestitures of operations and assets, as well as domestic and cross border financing related to his client’s activities. Mr. Orrantia also heads the commercial arbitration practice in Mexico, acting as counsel to parties and arbitrator in domestic and international commercial arbitration procedures.
- Real estate and environmental
- Corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Representation of a major international bank in a high-value restructure of loans for a commercial development in Mexico City, February 2023.
- Advised Mekitec Group, based in Finland, in the acquisition of Grupo Bimbo’s food Mexican software company oriented to food quality, July 2021.
- Representation of a Mexican real estate company in the sale of a 38,000 square meter (9.4 acres) beachfront parcel of land in Cancun, Mexico to an all-inclusive luxury resorts operator in May 2019, for a price of USD 90 million. The property was one of the few remaining undeveloped beachfronts lots remaining in the Kukulcan hotel corridor in Cancun.
- Representation of a major port developer in the financing of the construction of a container terminal in Tuxpan.
Fernando Orrantia has been appointed as arbitrator in arbitration procedures administered by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the Centro de Arbitraje de México (Center of Arbitration of Mexico, CAM). He also represents Mexican and International companies related to commercial arbitration proceedings before arbitration institutions, including the ICC, the International Center for Dispute Resolution, ICDR), the CAM, and the Cámara Nacional de Comercio en la Ciudad de México (National Chamber of Commerce in Mexico City, CANACO), including advice to clients in connection with proceedings before the Mexican courts for obtaining interim measures related to arbitration, recognition and enforcement of awards, interim measures related to the enforcement of awards, and requests for the referral to arbitration of claims filed in judicial proceedings. Recently concluded arbitration procedures in which he has acted as counsel include:
- Lead counsel for defendant in a domestic ICC commercial arbitration involving the construction of solar power plants. Initiated on April 29, 2020. Award issued on June 27, 2022.
- Lead counsel for defendant in a domestic ICC commercial arbitration involving the construction of solar power plants. Initiated on October 2, 2018. Award issued on February 5, 2020.
- Lead counsel for defendant in an ICC commercial arbitration related to a joint venture involving several seaport terminals. Initiated on August 12, 2016. Award issued on June 20, 2018.
- Partner, Orrantia y Robles, S.C., 2014-2015
- Partner, Mijares, Angoitia, Cortes y Fuentes, S.C., 2004-2013
- Associate, 1997-2003
- Associate, Franck, Galicia, Duclaud y Robles, S.C. 1995-1997
Reconocimientos y Liderazgo
- Listed, Best Lawyers Mexico, 2010-2019, 2021-2022
- Banking and Finance Law, 2021-2022
- Arbitration and Mediation, 2010-2019, 2021-2022
- Corporate and M&A Law, 2010-2019, 2021-2022
- Real Estate Law, 2010-2019, 2021-2022
- Listed, The Legal 500 Latin America, 2021-2022
- Latin America - International - Projects and Energy, 2021-2022
- Mexico - Energy and Natural Resources, 2021-2022
- Mexico - Projects and Infrastructure, 2021
- Recommended, Who's Who Legal, "Mexico: National Leader - Construction and Real Estate," 2020
- Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2015, 2019 and 2022
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School
- Licenciatura en Derecho, Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico City, D.F., Mexico
- Español, Nativo
- Inglés, Fluido