NEW YORK -- May 31, 2017 – Global law firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP received the 2017 Chambers USA Award for Excellence in Real Estate at the Chambers and Partners USA Awards Thursday, May 25, 2017 in New York City for the third time. The real estate team, now more than 300 strong, also received the award in 2013 and 2010, and has been nominated for the award every year since 2007.
“A real estate powerhouse with unmatched coverage nationwide. Advises across the full spectrum of real estate, including acquisitions and dispositions as well as development-related matters. Also accomplished advisers on related restructuring matters and workouts, land use issues and cross-border transactions,” notes the Chambers and Partners website editorial commentary about Greenberg Traurig's real estate team, which ranks in the guide’s top band nationwide.
“The USA Real Estate Law Firm of the year honor reflects the strength of a firm’s position in the marketplace, across the United States, in this strategic practice area as well as its achievements during the prior year. We are very proud to receive the award once again and of our team’s continued outstanding work on landmark deals, strategic expansion with key additions, and excellence in client service,” noted a statement from the firm’s Real Estate Practice Co-Chairs Richard J. Giusto, Robert J. Ivanhoe, and Corey E. Light.
For a short video of Light and Giusto accepting the award on behalf of the firm, click here.
Chambers and Partners, the UK-based publisher of legal guides worldwide, bases the awards on research they conducted for the 2017 edition of the USA Guide. The guide, released May 26, recognizes 175-plus GT attorneys across the United States.
Below is a summary of some of the Greenberg Traurig-guided transactions on which Chambers and Partners researchers based the award:
- Representation of a joint venture between Adler Group and 13th Floor Investments in connection with a long-term ground lease and development agreement with Miami-Dade County for a mixed-use transit-oriented development known as the Link at Douglas Station.
- Representation of a joint venture between The Chetrit Group and Clipper Equity in its $1.4 billion sale of the Sony Building located at 550 Madison Avenue in New York City to the Olayan Group, a Saudi Arabian investment company.
- Representation of a joint venture between affiliate of Clearview Hotel Capital, LLC and AllianceBernstein L.P. in the $82 million sale of the Westin O’Hare hotel adjacent to O'Hare International Airport in Illinois.
- Representation of Greystar Real Estate Partners, LLC in several matters, the $235 million sale of a portfolio of Phoenix properties; a $68.665 million construction loan for Ascent Midtown, Atlanta, GA; the $58.305 construction loan for a project in Redwood City, CA; and the $163.2 million construction loan for Ballpark Village in downtown San Diego’s East Village.
- Representation of Invesco in several matters including Jefferson Marketplace Apartments (Washington, D.C.), North Water Apartments (Chicago, IL), 139 Spring Street (New York, NY), and Post 3rd (Beverly Hills, CA).
- Representation of Kimco in connection with the development of Dania Pointe, a 102-acre mixed-use complex with almost 1 million square feet of retail and restaurants in addition to Class A offices, hotels, luxury apartments, and public event space in Dania, FL.
- Representation of Maximus Real Estate Partners in connection with a partnership with Uber to develop a Car Free Living Program at Parkmerced, the largest multifamily rental neighborhood in San Francisco.
- Representation of SL Green in the $453 million sale of the leased fee interest in 885 Third Ave. (“Lipstick Building”) to a partnership between Ceruzzi Properties and Shanghai Municipal Investment USA.
- Representation of SL Green in the transactions involving Industry City is a six million-square-foot industrial complex located on the waterfront in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, NY.
- Representation of Swire Properties in the acquisition of the property, in the structuring of the development of Brickell CityCentre in Miami including the retail shopping center, and is continuing to counsel the developer in connection with project financing, the leasing of the retail and office components of the project, the negotiations with the hotel operator, the preparation of the condominium offerings and other development-related issues.
- Representation of sovereign wealth fund Qatari Diar Investment Company in a joint venture with Tishman Speyer to construct a 1.1 million square foot mixed-use development on Long Island City New York.
About Greenberg Traurig's Real Estate Practice
The Greenberg Traurig Real Estate Practice is a cornerstone of the firm and recognized leader in the industry. The firm’s real estate attorneys deliver diversified and comprehensive legal solutions for property acquisition and investment, development, management and leasing, financing, restructuring, and disposition of all asset classes of real estate. The team draws upon the knowledge and experience of more than 300 real estate lawyers from around the world, serving clients from key markets in the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America. The group’s clientele includes a broad range of property developers, lenders, investment managers, private equity funds, REITs, and private owners. The firm’s real estate team advises clients on a variety of matters across a broad spectrum of commercial, recreational, and residential real estate, including structured equity and debt and the hybrids.
About Greenberg Traurig, LLP
Greenberg Traurig, LLP (GTLaw) has more than 2,000 attorneys in 38 offices in the United States, Latin America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East and is celebrating its 50th anniversary. One firm worldwide, GTLaw has been recognized for its philanthropic giving, was named the largest firm in the U.S. by Law360 in 2017, and among the Top 20 on the 2016 Am Law Global 100. Web: www.gtlaw.com Twitter: @GT_Law.