Heath Briggs is a chemical engineer, a registered patent attorney, and has more than 17 years of patent prosecution experience and 8 years of AIA trial experience. Heath has represented several entities in connection with over 100 inter partes review proceedings (IPRs), including representing companies such as Samsung, Limelight Networks, B. Braun, Kia Motors, Schlumberger, and SK hynix. Heath’s AIA experience spans a wide variety of technologies, with significant experience in proceedings involving patents to LEDs, computer software & telecommunications, medical devices, complex material systems and chemical processing. In 2019, Patexia ranked Heath 29th out of the Top 100 Best Performing IPR/AIA Trial Attorneys (representing Petitioners or Patent Owners).
Outside of the new post-grant review processes, Heath has worked on nearly 20 U.S. patent reexaminations (both inter partes and ex parte), and more than 35 European opposition proceedings for his clients.
Since 2005, Heath has served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder, where he teaches engineering students a self-designed course on intellectual property law. He was also selected by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) to provide online IP training for its chemical engineering members. Heath is involved in the community, where his passion is to educate aspiring inventors and entrepreneurs about intellectual property.
- Legal Areas
- Patent prosecution and licensing
- Post-issuance patent proceedings, including inter partes review, post-grant review, covered business method patents, ex parte reexaminations and oppositions (Europe)
- Patent opinions
- Technical Areas
- Materials science and metallurgy including aluminum and aluminum alloys, and silicon and silicon alloys
- Additive Manufacturing/3-D Printing
- Dietary supplements and food products
- Water treatment
- Solar cells and solar energy
- Chemistry and chemical compounds
- Medical devices and compounds
- Military devices