Luis TorresAssociate email@example.com
Luis Torres focuses his practice on corporate law with an emphasis on financial regulation, M&A, lending and general finance, FinTech, anti-money laundering regulation (AML/CFT), and other complex corporate matters. Luis also is experienced in the authorization and commencement of operations of Mexican banks, broker dealers, foreign central counterparties, non-bank financial intermediaries (SOFOMs), representative offices of foreign financial institutions, money transmitters, insurance companies and other institutional investors, and provides ongoing regulatory and transactional advice to national and foreign clients in those sectors.
- Banking and finance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Represented, as a member team, Banco BTG Pactual in all matters related to the licensing, incorporation, and commencement of operations of a Mexican broker dealer subsidiary, the first of Brazilian capital to be incorporated in Mexico.
- Representation of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. in the process leading to its recognition by Banco de Mexico as the first foreign central counterparty for the clearing of standardized derivatives contracts in Mexico following recent amendments to local derivatives regulation.
- Represented, as a member team of GT London, a U.S. Company in an intra-corporate restructuring involving five different jurisdictions (France, Sweden, Austria, Australia and Italy).
- Represented, as a member team of GT London, Cain International Advisers Limited (UK Company), in the acquisition of Competitive Socialising Limited and its subsidiaries for an enterprise value of £12,500,000
- Represented EIM Capital, S.A.P.I. de C.V., (a Mexico City-based private equity fund dedicated to new investment in the Mexican energy sector, including power, upstream, midstream, and other energy-related infrastructure), to raise private capital from an affiliate of American Energy Partners, LP.
- Represented, as a member team, Operadora Maximed, a Mexico City-based provider of home health care services, in the sale of the 100 percent of the shares issued by the company to the private equity fund Angelus Fund.
- Represented, as a member team, Trafigura Mexico, S.A. de C.V., to structure the security package in Mexico under a Refined Metals Borrowing Base Facility of USD $2 billion.
- Represented, as a member team, Satélites Mexicanos, S.A. de C.V. (Satmex) in all Mexican-related corporate and regulatory matters (including antitrust), corporate and financial restructuring, as well as in the negotiation of the satellite construction agreement for the procurement of its satellites and its acquisition by Eutelsat in a transaction valued at more than USD $1 billion dollars.
- Represented an international mining fund in the financing of a mining tailings project in Chihuahua.
- Represents several venture capital funds and startups before the Mexican Entrepreneur Institute (INADEM) and corporate funds raising structures.
- Represented, as a member team, BBVA Bancomer, S.A. Institución de Banca Múlitple Grupo Financiero BBVA Bancomer in several structured loans.°
- Represented, as a member team, Talanx International AG and HDI Seguros in the authorization before the Mexican Ministry of Finance and Mexican Federal Economic Competition Commission (COFECE) to acquire the 100 percent of the capital stock of Metropolitana Compañía de Seguros.°
- Advised on the incorporation and operation of financial intermediaries, as well as the structure of numerous loans and commercial transactions.°
- Participated in the incorporation and operation of foreign insurance companies and banking and non-banking institutions (branches and representative offices) in Mexico.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Torres prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Foreign Associate, Greenberg Traurig, LLP., London, U.K., 2018-2019
- Associate Greenberg Traurig S.C., 2012-2017
- Legal Consultant, BBVA Bancomer, 2012
Reconocimientos y Liderazgo
- Member, Winning Team, M&A Deal of Year, Latin America/Mexico, The American Lawyer Global Legal Awards, 2014
- Member, Winning Team, Acquisition International magazine, "Overall Law Firm of the Year – Mexico," 2013
- Member, Winning Team, Acquisition International magazine, "Most Trusted Law Firm of the Year – Mexico," 2013
- Member, Winning Team, InterContinental Finance, "Mergers & Acquisitions Firm of the Year – Mexico," 2013
- Member, Winning Team, Lawyers World Law Awards, "Mergers & Acquisitions Firm of the Year – Mexico," 2013
- Adjunct Professor, "Credit Transactions and Negotiable Instruments," Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City, 2013-2014
- Adjunct Professor, Universidad Panamericana, Banking Law, 2012-2013
- Maestría en Derecho (LL.M.), Queen Mary University of London
- Certificate, Corporate Finance, The London School of Economics and Political Science
- Postgraduate in Financial Law, Universidad Panamericana
- LL.B., Universidad Panamericana
Con licencia para ejercer en
- Español, Nativo
- Inglés, Fluido