Maribel Tovar FríasAssociate firstname.lastname@example.org
Maribel Tovar has more than 17 years of experience in the Mexican public sector. She has focused her career in telecommunications, media and technology, infrastructure, consumer protection, regulation, administrative law, litigation and public procurement. Maribel has advised in the legal aspects of highly complex and unprecedented projects.
- Technology, media and telecommunications
- Consumer protection
- Regulatory and compliance
- Administrative law
- Public procurement
- Ministry of the Interior (Secretaría de Gobernación, SEGOB)
- Participated in the drafting and review of amendments to the Organic Law of the Federal Public Administration (Ley Orgánica de la Administración Pública Federal), Republican Austerity Law (Ley de Austeridad Republicana), General Law of Public Official Liability (Ley General de Responsabilidades de los Servidores Públicos), among others that have been filed to the Legislative Branch. °
- Responsible for drafting the Ministry of the Interior’s new Internal Regulations (Reglamento Interior de la Secretaría de Gobernación), regarding the Deputy Ministry of Governance section (Subsecretaría de Gobierno), published in the Federal Official Gazette (Diario Oficial de la Federación) on May 31, 2019. The SEGOB was the second agency to publish its regulations within the terms provided in the Organic Law of the Federal Public Administration. °
- Legal advice and defense of relevant matters inside the SEGOB, including the National Education Workers Union (Sindicato Nacional de Trabajadores de la Educación, SNTE), the Thermal Power Station (Termoeléctrica), Citizen Consultations (Consultas Ciudadanas). °
- Ministry of Communications and Transportation (Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes, SCT)
- Participated in the conceptualization and negotiation of the Constitutional Reform on Telecommunications, Broadcasting and Antitrust Law before the Federal Congress (Congreso de la Unión). °
- Participated in the implementation of the Federal Law of Telecommunications and Broadcasting (Ley Federal de Telecomunicaciones y Radiodifusión). °
- Participated in the negotiations of several international treaties for the telecommunications, broadcasting, ecommerce and State-owned companies’ chapters, including the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) and the Pacific Alliance. °
- Member of the legal team responsible for conceptualizing and executing telecommunications infrastructure and operator projects, including: Digital Terrestrial Television, Shared Network, tender of dark fiber of CFE and Backbone Network. °
- Collaborated in the drafting of infrastructure projects’ policies and programs for the telecommunications sector, such as poles and federal buildings. °
- Legal defense in the Shared Network project, Interconnection rates and arbitration: Telefónica vs México (APRI MEX-ESP) and Eutelsat vs México (APRI MEX-FRA). °
- Participated in the design of a new sanctioning policy to generate legal certainty. Responsible for the relationship with the auditing bodies of the Federal Public Administration, and with the Transparency Unit (Unidad de Transparencia). °
- Federal Consumer Protection Agency (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor, PROFECO)
- Implementation of the amendments to the Federal Consumer Protection Law, regarding sanctions and arbitration matters. °
- As Director of Sanctions, established a new sanctions policy to make PROFECO’s resolutions ironclad. Cases with relevant fines imposed included Aerocalifornia and Sheraton Hotels. °
- Responsible for updating the internal legal framework of the General Directorate of Procedures (Dirección General de Procedimientos), for it to follow the amendments to the Federal Consumer Protection Law on real estate, arbitration, sanctions, intermediate consumption and compensation mechanism matters. °
°The transactions marked with this symbol were carried out prior to Ms. Tovar Frías joining Greenberg Traurig, S.C.
- Provided regulatory and strategic legal advice to a Mexican local government to structure a contracting model for a hybrid telecommunications network (optical fiber and microwaves) to promote connectivity in locations with no coverage, and foster investment and competition.
- Advised clients in the preparation and drafting of public bids for infrastructure projects.
- Legal and regulatory advice to a Fortune 500 company for the deployment of local telecommunications infrastructure, and analysis on the compliance of contractual relationships with customers and suppliers.
Reconocimientos y Liderazgo
- Listed, Best Lawyers, “Best Lawyers in Mexico,” Administrative Law, 2023
- Listed, The Legal 500 Latin America Guide, "Latin America: Mexico – TMT," 2023
- Licenciatura en Derecho (J.D. equivalent), Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Con licencia para ejercer en