Andrea Shwayri FerraroShareholder firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Shwayri Ferraro concentrates her practice in the area of complex commercial litigation and arbitration, including contract disputes, class action litigation, and products liability.
She has significant products liability experience focused on medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and tobacco products. Andrea has represented manufacturers in mass tort, multidistrict litigation as well as complex matters in both federal and state courts. Her experience includes all aspects of litigation, including development of case strategy, case management, selecting and managing trial experts, and trial practice – for claims based on failure to warn, design defects, and manufacturing defects.
- Products liability
- Complex commercial litigation
- Complex business disputes
- Business torts
- Represents R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in a pending arbitration under the 1998 Master Settlement Agreement with various U.S. states in which R.J. Reynolds and other tobacco company signatories seek a reduction of hundreds of millions of dollars in their settlement payments.
- Represented Lorillard Tobacco Company in numerous cases pending in state and federal courts throughout Florida as a result of the Florida Supreme Court's decertification of a class of plaintiffs, in its decision in Engle v. Liggett Group, Inc., 945 So. 2d 1246 (Fla. 2006), seeking damages for injuries allegedly caused by smoking cigarettes.
- Defended a medical device manufacturer against claims for negligence and strict liability failure to warn, design defect, and manufacturing defect, breach of warranty, and misrepresentation in individual lawsuits pending in federal courts throughout Florida.
- Defended a medical device manufacturer in ongoing multidistrict products liability litigation concerning its pelvic mesh products in individual cases remanded for trial in their originating states.
- Defended manufacturer in a complex product liability case involving claims for strict liability, negligence, and breach of warranty pertaining to injuries caused by an allegedly defective smoke alarm and obtained dismissal in favor of manufacturer.
- Represented developer in a highly contested breach of contract and specific performance action involving 22,000 acres of land valued at more than $100 million and obtained judgment in favor of developer.
- Represented developer of condominium hotel project in Panama in a multi-plaintiff RICO action filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida and obtained dismissal of action in favor of developer.
- Defended real estate developers in multimillion-dollar rescission matters, frequently addressing claims raised under the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act, Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, and Federal Securities Act.
- Defended national bank in an injunction action involving Mexican citizen seeking a claim to significant assets in the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida and successfully obtained dismissal of action in favor of national bank.
- Judicial Law Clerk, Fourth District Court of Appeals, Judge Larry Klein and Judge Martha Warner
- Summer Associate, Greenberg Traurig, West Palm Beach, FL
Recognition & Leadership
- Team Member, a Law360 “Product Liability Practice Group of the Year,” 2021-2022
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2012-2022
- Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Up-and-Comer," 2020-2021
- Team Member, The American Lawyer’s “Products Liability Litigation Department of the Year,” 2018
J.D., cum laude, University of Florida Levin College of Law
- Board Member, Journal of Law and Public Policy
- Board Member, Florida Journal of International Law
- Teaching Assistant: Trial Practice, Legal Research & Writing, Appellate Advocacy
- B.A., Economics and Political Science, magna cum laude, University of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit