David Weinstein is the Managing Shareholder of GT’s Tampa office. With over 30 years of experience, David is a “go to” litigator and strategist for high-stakes and complex civil and white-collar litigation, including business, environmental, toxic tort, real estate, land use, health care, and other challenging matters. An accomplished litigator who takes pride in his courtroom advocacy, David also works to help clients find practical and effective out-of-court approaches to their legal issues whenever appropriate. Drawing on his business experience and acumen, David handles a wide variety of matters and enjoys assisting clients with overcoming their most difficult challenges. In the civil context, he represents clients in class actions, mass torts, and other complex litigation. He also represents organizations and individuals in federal and state white-collar criminal investigations. In addition, David assists clients with developing and implementing crisis management, public relations, and other external and internal communications strategies for both civil actions and government investigations. He has significant "first-chair" trial experience in jury and non-jury trials, as well as arbitrations. David also serves as the Chair of the firm’s National Environmental and Toxic Tort Litigation Practice.
David’s versatility and skills are exemplified by his recognition in multiple categories by the most prestigious legal rating services. Both Chambers and Partners USA Guide and The Best Lawyers in America list David in three distinct categories: Commercial Litigation, White-Collar Criminal Defense, and Environmental Law. In 2021, The Legal 500 United States recognized him as one of only four “Leading Lawyers” nationally in “Litigation - Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense: Toxic Tort.” Who's Who Legal describes him as “a distinguished litigator and a well-known name for civil and white-collar disputes.” David is recognized as one of "Florida's Legal Elite" by Florida Trend magazine—which inducted him into its Hall of Fame in 2010. And Florida Super Lawyers has rated David as one of Florida's "Top 100" lawyers seven times.
Ranked in Chambers and Partners USA Guide since 2009, David has been described by clients in the following ways:
- “[A] really fabulous lawyer . . . well-liked by clients . . . the kind of guy you would want leading the charge if you had a problem.”
- “[A] stellar reputation” with a “wealth of expertise in high-stakes civil and white-collar criminal disputes. He offers additional strengths in appellate work, healthcare disputes, and wider business litigation. Interviewees report that he ‘has good judgement and is a pleasure to work with.’”
- “‘[I]ncredibly skilled and adept in the courtroom.’”
- “‘[A] master litigator not only in the thoughtfulness of his drafting and pre-trial work, but also as a great trial attorney.’ He is recognized for his litigation strength in matters including toxic tort class action cases as well as in criminal environmental cases.”
- “[A] respected and very skillful lawyer.”
- “He's top-notch, he's one of the best. If I was accused of a white-collar environmental crime I would use him. He's tenacious, bright and extremely capable.”
David has a long record of service to the legal profession and the community, which include: Member, Board of Directors, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa Bay; Member, Board of Trustees, Straz Center for the Performing Arts; Member, Former Chair and current Co-Chair, Environmental Enforcement and Crimes Committee, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources; and Co-Chair, Criminal Litigation and Enforcement Subcommittee, ABA Environmental Litigation Committee. He is also a member emeritus of the Herbert G. Goldburg-Ronald K. Cacciatore Criminal Law American Inn of Court and a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. A Fourth-Degree Black Belt, David served as the senior instructor of Tampa Moo Duk Kwan, a not-for-profit martial arts club.
David was recently recognized by the Tampa Bay Business Journal as a member of their “Power 100” and in Florida Trend’s “People to Know in Tampa/Hillsborough County.”
- Business litigation
- Environmental and toxic tort litigation
- Real estate and land use litigation
- White-collar criminal defense
- Class actions
- Mass torts
- Trial and appellate practice