Hon. Martin J. SilversteinSenior Counsel
Ambassador Martin J. Silverstein is senior counsel with the international law firm of Greenberg Traurig in the Global and Corporate practices. An attorney for over 40 years, he primarily represents multi-national businesses in cross-border transactions and mergers and acquisitions. He is a member of the bars of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, District of Columbia, U.S. Court of International Trade and U.S. Tax Court. He maintains the highest possible AV® rating for legal skills, integrity and professional excellence, reflecting the confidential opinion of members of the Bar, Judiciary and Clients under Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Rating system and Client Review Rating system.
Silverstein earned his LL.M. from University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D. from Temple University Beasley School of Law (senior member of Law Review) and B.A. in political science from Rutgers College.
Silverstein serves as a Board of Advisors member at The Adam Smith Center for Economic Freedom at Florida International University, a Board of Visitors member at Temple University Beasley School of Law and was a Trustee of the University of Pennsylvania and the Public School Employees' Retirement System, a $72 billion public pension fund. He sits as a Judge Pro Tempore in the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania, serves on the Federal Judicial Nomination Advisory Panel (E.D. PA), and is a Region I Local Board Member of the United States Selective Service System. He is professionally competent in Spanish and Hebrew.
Ambassador Silverstein served as U.S. Ambassador to Uruguay for four years. During his tenure, he worked diligently to protect the American homeland in the immediate post 9/11 environment; facilitated a $1.5 billion U.S. Treasury emergency loan to salvage Uruguay's banking system; worked to reopen markets to banned Uruguayan commodities; and engineered the signing of the first Bilateral Investment Treaty of the Bush Administration. These actions led the President of Uruguay to publicly credit the Ambassador with saving his government and preventing economic collapse.
The President and Legislature of Uruguay decorated the Ambassador with their nation’s highest civilian honor. He is the first and only American citizen to receive The Medalla de la Republica Oriental del Uruguay, rank of Gran Oficial. The United States government decorated the Ambassador with the Superior Honor Award Medal and The Foreign Affairs Award for Public Service for his "performance with exceptional dedication and distinction."
He has been awarded the Citizens Commendation for Bravery from the Philadelphia Police Department, Legion of Honor from the Chapel of Four Chaplains, Certificate of Merit for Service to Veterans from the United States Congress and twice received the Maimonides Award from Magen David Adom.
Silverstein lectures on a variety of contemporary topics including international relations, diplomacy, economics, and global trade. Venues have included Center for Latin American Studies at Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, The Lauder Institute, InterAmerican Institute for Democracy, Institute for International Law and Public Policy, Adam Smith Center for Economic Freedom at FIU, and Pan American Association.
- Global trade practice
- Corporate and securities
- United States Ambassador to Oriental Republic of Uruguay
- Trustee, University of Pennsylvania
- Trustee, Public School Employees' Retirement System
- Board Member, The Jesse Helms Center at Wingate University
- Member, Federal Judicial Nominating Commission (E.D. PA)
- Reserve Police Officer and Constable, Elizabeth, NJ
- Local Board Member, United States Selective Service System, Region II (Texas)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer, Corporation for National & Community Service
- Member, U.S. Presidential Honorary Delegation to Jerusalem
- Member, U.S. Presidential Delegation to the Uruguayan presidential inauguration
- Delegate, Ukraine Presidential Election IRI Observation Mission
- Delegate, MERCOSUR 4 plus 1 Council on Trade and Investment negotiations
- Delegate, U.S.-Uruguay Joint Commission on Trade and Investment
- Senior Member, Transition Team of President Donald J. Trump
Anerkennung durch den Markt
- The Medalla de la Republica Oriental del Uruguay, rank of Gran Oficial, awarded by the President and Legislature of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay. The nation’s highest national civilian honor and the only American recipient.
- Superior Honor Award Medal, awarded by United States government, Department of State. A unique recognition for a non-career Ambassador.
- The Foreign Affairs Award for Public Service, awarded by United States government and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for "performance with exceptional dedication and distinction."
- Citizens Commendation for Bravery, awarded by Philadelphia Police Department and Philadelphia Police Commissioner.
- Certificate of Merit for Service to Veterans, awarded by United States Congress.
- Legion of Honor, Chapel of Four Chaplains
- Maimonides Award, Magen David Adom
- Pro Bono College of the Texas State Bar. Awarded by Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court in recognition of outstanding delivery of legal services to low-income Texans.
- Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5.0
A description of the selection methodology for the above awards can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Member, Board of Visitors, Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Member, Board of Visitors, The Adam Smith Center for Economic Freedom, Florida International University
- Judge Pro Tempore, First Judicial District of Pennsylvania
- Member, Federal Judicial Nomination Advisory Panel (E.D. PA)
- Local Board Member, United States Selective Service System, Region 1 (Pennsylvania)
- Member, Texas Bar College
- Member, Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Council of American Ambassadors
- Northwest Women's Shelter, Washington, D.C.
- LL.M., University of Pennsylvania Law School
J.D., Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Senior member, Law Review
- Robert Lamberton Award for Excellence in Constitutional Law
- BNA Law Week Award for Outstanding Senior
- B.A., Rutgers College - New Brunswick
- New Jersey
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Tax Court