Arturo Pérez-EstradaShareholder email@example.com
Arturo Pérez-Estrada focuses his practice on corporate, mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, financial regulation (Fintech), corporate governance, regulatory matters, and compliance affecting national and foreign clients of various industries.
Arturo provides legal advice to various clients in matters related to venture capital, financial regulation, and shareholders agreements. He has obtained various authorizations in financial matters for nonbank financial intermediaries, insurance companies, and brokerage firms, and has assisted regulated industries in connection with regulatory matters and compliance in areas regarding Fintech regulation, microcredits, money laundering prevention, payment platforms, data privacy, and consumer protection.
As part of his corporate M&A practice, Arturo has represented international companies in the negotiation of exploration agreements, financing, association, and joint venture agreements regarding mining projects in Mexico.
Arturo is also an active advisor to startup companies, and early and venture capital funds in Mexico and Latin America.
- Financial regulation
- Mergers and acquisition
- Private capital
- Global – Latin America Practice
- Advised IGNIA Partners and Dalus Capital as lead co-investors, as well as other investors, in a Series A equity round of US$6.5 million in the company UnDosTres, a Mexican FinTech company with an online digital payment platform. The proceeds of this investment round will be used to fund the platform’s growth, and to continue development of new payment services.
- Represented Banco BTG Pactual in all matters related to the licensing, incorporation and commencement of operations of a Mexican broker dealer subsidiary, the first of Brazilian capital to be incorporated in Mexico.
- Represented an international mining fund in the financing of a mining tailings project in Chihuahua.
- Represents several venture capital funds and startups before the Mexican Entrepreneur Institute (INADEM) and corporate funds raising structures.
- Represented an international client in the contract negotiation for the cabin equipment purchase for a presidential aircraft.
- Participated in private bond offerings from Latin American issuers under Rule 144A and Reg S of the Securities Laws of the U.S., including the Lima Airport Partners awarded infrastructure bond financing in Peru.
- Acted as legal counsel for second largest mobile services provider in Mexico during the negotiation of the formation of the shareholders' pool which won the bidding process for CFE's dark fiber optic and committed and investment more than US$160 million.
- Led the negotiation of a joint venture agreement and formation of a JV company formed by a Canadian mining company and Mexican mining conglomerate for the exploration of a mine located in Durango, Mexico.
- Member of the legal team in charge of the acquisition of the Mexican subsidiary of a Spanish pharmaceutical company.
- Provided legal counsel for issues related to voting agreements, anti-money laundering, extraterritorial application of foreign laws in Mexico (antidote laws), micro-lending programs, investment in regulated entities, mobile banking accounts, branch-less banking, niche banking, eCommerce and personal data protection.
- Provided legal advice to one of the world’s biggest credit card and payment processor in connection with banking regulation, prepaid products and privacy laws.
- Acted as team leader representing the financial branch of a technology company during a private equity investment round for the deployment of a "Wimax" network for broadband Internet services.
- Member of the legal team in charge of the incorporation of the first title insurance company in Mexico, and provided legal regulatory advice during the last 10 years.
- Led the incorporation process and regulatory approvals for the incorporation of an insurance broker and factoring company for a Spanish mobile network operator.
- Led the negotiation of a joint venture between two Canadian mining companies for the exploitation of a silver mine in Mexico with a committed investment of more than US$16 million.
- Member of the legal team representing a port and terminal operator from Hong Kong during a time-critical negotiation for the formation of a joint venture company with Mexican and English shipping partners for the provision of cross-border maritime transportation services within the Gulf of Mexico.
- Acted as legal representative responsible of the purchase and sale of a US$5 million real estate portfolio owned by an American company.
- Provided legal counsel for one of the main shareholders of a low-cost airline carrier during the exit operation of its former partners (a public TV company and a mobile telephone company).
- Acted as team leader for the incorporation of a reinsurance broker in Mexico.
- Represented a leading Spanish mobile services provider in the US$1.36 billion acquisition of four cellular companies in the north of Mexico, and subsidiaries.
- Negotiated the introduction and marketing of extended warranty products in their stores provided by a Mexican subsidiary of an American company with the biggest retail stores in Mexico.
- Participated on the legal team dealing with the negotiation of the amendments of the terms and conditions for medium-term note programs of Mexican issuers listed in Luxemburg.
Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Pérez-Estrada prior to him joining Greenberg Traurig, S.C.
- Intern, Garcia Barragan y Villela, Corporate and Foreign Investment, 1998-1999
Reconocimientos y Liderazgo
- Listed, Best Lawyers, “Best Lawyers in Mexico,” 2022-2023
- Listed, Chambers Fintech, FinTech Legal in Mexico, 2020-2023
- Listed, The Legal 500 Latin America Guide, "Latin America: Mexico – Corporate & M&A," 2021, 2023
- Team Member, "Corporate/M&A – Law Firm of the Year," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2014
- Team Member, Acquisition International magazine, "Overall Law Firm of the Year – Mexico," 2013
- Team Member, Acquisition International magazine, "Most Trusted Law Firm of the Year – Mexico," 2013
- Team Member, InterContinental Finance, "Mergers & Acquisitions Firm of the Year – Mexico," 2013
- Team Member, Lawyers World Law Awards, "Mergers & Acquisitions Firm of the Year – Mexico," 2013
- Team Member, DealMakers, "Law Firm of the Year - Mergers & Acquisitions - Mexico," 2012-2013
- Member, National Business Lawyers Association (ANADE)
- Member, Mexico – United States Entrepreneurship and Innovation Committee (MUSEIC)
- Member, U.S. - Mexico Bar Association
- Member, Mexican Bar Association
- Postgraduate Studies, ITAM, 2009
- Maestría en Derecho (LL.M.), The University of Texas School of Law
- Licenciatura en Derecho, cum laude, Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico City, D.F., Mexico
- Español, Nativo
- Inglés, Fluido