James MiskiewiczShareholder Jim.Miskiewicz@gtlaw.com
James Miskiewicz is an experienced former federal prosecutor, trial attorney, and in-house compliance and litigation counsel for one of the largest public power companies in the United States. Jim has deep experience working on trials and appeals, internal investigations, and corporate law and governance. He advises on legislative, regulatory, and lobbying compliance, as well as government contracting and Freedom of Information Act litigation. Jim also counsels clients on training and development.
Prior to joining the firm, Jim served at the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA). In his most recent role as deputy general counsel, Jim oversaw and advised on state and federal compliance, government contracting, whistleblower response, internal investigations, financial reporting, energy hedging, and litigation.
Jim also served in multiple roles in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney (AUSA), he conducted more than 40 federal criminal trials to verdict and oversaw hundreds of evidentiary hearings, grand jury presentations, plea dispositions, and sentencings. He also briefed and argued appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. In his role as deputy chief of the Long Island Criminal Division, he led prosecution and investigative teams in cases involving white collar fraud, international cybercrime, narcotics trafficking, official corruption, and racketeering. He also supervised AUSAs, including those engaged in complex prosecutions involving white-collar fraud and electronic surveillance.
- Handled dismissal of federal antitrust complaint for LIPA.°
- Investigated service provider's 2020 storm restoration response leading to the renegotiation of contract and settlement payment of $30 million in damages to LIPA.°
- Represented LIPA before State Comptroller, Attorney General's Office, Department of Public Service, State Homeland Security, and FEMA.°
- Represented LIPA in NY Department of Public Service 24-month management audit.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Miskiewicz prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), 2016-2022
- Deputy General Counsel, 2018-2022
- Special Counsel for Ethics, Risk & Compliance, 2016-2018
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, 1997-2016
- Deputy Chief, Long Island Criminal Division, 2009-2016
- Acting Chief, Organized Crime & Racketeering Section, 2011
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, 1997-2016
- Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Environmental Crimes Section, 1990-1997
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, Touro College, 2009-2019
- Intern, New York Attorney General’s Office, Environmental Protection Bureau, 1987
- Intern, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, 1986
Sukcesy i wyróżnienia
- Team Member, a Law360 “Environmental Practice Group of the Year,” 2022
- Award for Outstanding Achievement, U.S. Department of Justice, Environment and Natural Resources Division, 1996
- Recipient, Director’s Award for Superior Performance by a Litigative Team, U.S. Department of Justice, 2011
- Recipient, Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an AUSA, 2004
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation, Environment & Energy Resources Committees
- J.D., City University of New York School of Law
- B.A., cum laude, City College of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas, 1988-1990
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit