Darren J. Abernethy is an ad tech, data privacy and cybersecurity attorney with more than a decade of experience, including in Am Law private practice in Washington, D.C. and as in-house counsel at startups and a leading privacy technology vendor. He advises clients on matters related to digital advertising, privacy law compliance, data breach management, M&A, and FTC best practices.
Darren's concentrations include data-driven marketing campaigns, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and other U.S. state privacy laws, the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)/ePrivacy, direct marketing, and IP-related transactional matters.
Darren has also practiced FCC/state telecommunications law, including with respect to broadband internet access providers and MVPDs, wireless spectrum users, network neutrality, and customer proprietary network information (CPNI) requirements.
Darren is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)’s Publications Advisory Board and the World World Web Consortium (W3C)’s Improving Web Advertising Business Group.
- Digital advertising, self-regulatory frameworks (DAA, NAI, IAB), geo-targeting, cookie compliance, emerging technologies, and issues of particular interest to publishers, brands, agencies, and ad tech intermediaries
- Drafting and negotiating the privacy aspects of commercial agreements, including advertising contracts, data processing agreements, and ToS
- Global privacy programs, policies, and vendor management
- Cross-border data transfers and data sharing agreements
- Product counseling and privacy by design
- Data breach notification laws and state/federal regulator investigations
- Privacy/cybersecurity/IP-related mergers & acquisitions
- FTC CIDs “truth-in-advertising” rules, COPPA, CAN-SPAM, and the Telemarketing Sales Rule