Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) posted by the IRS provide additional information regarding the tax return filing and tax payment deadline relief announced by the IRS in Notice 2020-18. The IRS indicated that the FAQs will be continue to be updated.
Key information in the FAQs:
- The filing extension until July 15 only applies to those income tax returns due April 15. The relief does not apply to those returns that were due March 16;
- Section 965 transition tax installment payments due April 15 are extended until July 15;
- The relief does not apply to gift, estate, payroll, and excise taxes;
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and IRA contributions are extended until July 15;
- Estimated tax payments for the second quarter of 2020 are still due June 15;
- The relief does not extend the time to file any potential refund claim for 2016 taxes.
See our previous GT Alert on the IRS extension of the income tax filing deadline.
For more information and updates on the developing situation, visit GT’s Health Emergency Preparedness Task Force: Coronavirus Disease 2019.