DENVER – July 13, 2020– Justin Prochnow of global law firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP will participate as a speaker in American Conference Institute’s (ACI) virtual workshop, “CBD and Cannabis Working Group for the Food Industry: Making Sense of the Confusing Regulatory State of Affairs.”
The workshop will be held on July 14 from 1:30 to 5:00 pm MT. Topics will include the following:
- What are the differences between seed which is safe, CBD oils, and variants of CBD generally not recognized as safe?
- CBD as permissible in certain circumstances while THC is not
- What is FDA’s current stance on the uses of CBD in food products?
- What does state-level regulation look like?
- In the absence of FDA’s regulation and resultant state activity, what is a suggested strategy for food companies to employ at this time?
- What can companies who are currently launching products containing CBD expect to see from FDA?
- Marketing and labeling: Addressing the effect of making claims that can’t be substantiated
- What are the anticipated claims involving CBD products?
- Should food companies which are not currently using CBD products anticipate litigation risks if CBD products accidentally enter their supply chain through cross-contamination?
Hosted by ACI, the workshop is part of a pre-conference series leading up to their Food Law - Regulation, Compliance and Litigation Virtual Conference. According to the organization’s website, the conference is a “unique interactive forum where key legal, regulatory and compliance stakeholders for the food industry will gather to discuss how to best prepare for the future by examining current challenges, benchmarking existing strategies, and analyzing critical areas for innovation.”
Conference registration information can be found on ACI’s website.
Prochnow is a shareholder in Greenberg Traurig’s Denver office and chair of the firm’s Food, Beverage, and Agribusiness. He assists companies with regulatory, business, and legal needs in the beverage, food, dietary supplement, cosmetic, medical device, and OTC industries. Prochnow works closely with companies to ensure regulatory compliance with statutes and regulations enforced by the Food and Drug Administration, the Federal Trade Commission, and other regulatory agencies. This includes the review of product labels, labeling, advertising, websites and other marketing materials. Prochnow assists companies with responding to governmental and regulatory actions, including FDA inspections and warning letters, FTC Civil Investigative Demands, and ASRC and NAD cases. He prepares and reviews business documents for industry members, including consulting, manufacturing, supply and distribution agreements. He and his team also defend industry companies from both governmental agencies and civil litigators in litigation ranging from breach of contract cases to the growing number of class actions alleging false and misleading advertising.
About Greenberg Traurig’s Food, Beverage & Agribusiness Practice: Greenberg Traurig's Food, Beverage & Agribusiness Practice leverages their deep experience representing some of the most significant participants in the food, beverage, agribusiness, dietary supplement, and personal care products industries. The Agribusiness team is globally ranked in Chambers & Partners, and Law360 has named them a “Food & Beverage Practice Group of the Year,” with a team member being recognized as a Law360 MVP for Food & Beverage. They represent clients on a broad range of matters in the sector, including those involving agrotech, environmental, finance, intellectual property, labor and employment, litigation, M&A, real estate, regulatory, restructuring, and tax matters.
About Greenberg Traurig: Greenberg Traurig, LLP (GT) has more than 2,200 attorneys in 41 offices in the United States, Latin America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. GT has been recognized for its philanthropic giving, diversity, and innovation, and is consistently among the largest firms in the U.S. on the Law360 400 and among the Top 20 on the Am Law Global 100. Web: http://www.gtlaw.com Twitter: @GT_Law.