James M. VantShareholder James.Vant@gtlaw.com
James M. Vant is a business-oriented and pragmatic legal advisor with over twenty years of experience counseling publicly traded corporations, private companies, and individuals in connection with domestic and international corporate transactions, investigations, disputes, and litigation in federal and state jurisdictions throughout the United States. James advises clients on risk mitigation strategies and represents clients in transactions, investigations, disputes, and litigation involving a broad spectrum of issues, including anti-corruption, class actions, contracts, corporate governance, data privacy/management/security, fiduciary duty, public records/FOIA, fraud, government/regulatory investigations, intellectual property, labor and employment, product liability, real estate, sales/marketing/advertising, securities, and statutory/regulatory interpretation and compliance. James also counsels clients on issues related to electronically stored information (ESI) and eDiscovery.
- Anti-corruption (including compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act)
- Class action defense
- Contract negotiation, drafting, interpretation
- Corporate governance
- Data privacy, management, and security
- Fiduciary duty (including directors’ duties of care and loyalty)
- Fraud (including “unfair and deceptive business practice” claims under Mass. Gen. Laws Ch. 93A and Federal Trade Commission Act)
- Government and regulatory investigations (including civil investigative demands and actions under the False Claims Act)
- Intellectual property (including trade secret and non-competition)
- Internal corporate investigations
- Labor and employment (including compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act)
- Public records (including Freedom of Information Act and Massachusetts Public Records Law)
- Product liability
- Real estate
- Sales, marketing, and advertising
- Securities (including compliance with the Securities Act of 1933 and Securities Exchange Act of 1934)
- Represented companies and individuals in federal regulatory investigations by the UnitedStates Department of Justice, the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other federal regulatory agencies.
- Represented companies and individuals in state regulatory investigations by the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General, other states attorneys general, and other state regulatory agencies.
- Represented companies in defense of unfair and deceptive business practice claims.
- Represented special litigation committee of board of directors of public company in investigation of historical stock-option granting practices and responses to stockholder demands, and federal and state court derivative litigation asserting state law claims for breach of fiduciary duty and federal securities claims.
- Represented companies in litigation involving the False Claims Act.
- Represented companies in class action litigation involving the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Represented bio-medical broker in litigation concerning domestic sales transaction.
- Represented national retailer in state and federal wage and hour class action.
- Represented national retailer in litigation concerning the misappropriation of trade secrets and violation of non-disclosure and non-competition agreements.
- Counseled companies regarding information management and records retention, data privacy and protection, and e-discovery.
- Represented financial institutionsand gaming companies in complex commercial disputes.
- Prosecutor, Quincy District Court (pro bono), Rule 3:03
- Public Defender, Boston Municipal Court (pro bono), Rule 3:03
Recognition & Leadership
Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Massachusetts Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2013
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- J.D., cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2001
- B.A., cum laude, Rutgers University, 1997
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York