LOS ANGELES – Aug. 1, 2022 – Global law firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP has been recognized as a legal “Powerhouse” in California by Law360. According to the publication, the honor is given to law firms that offer clients regional expertise and make a lasting impact on the law at the state and local level.
The publication also recognized the firm’s Florida offices in its regional powerhouse series. This is the sixth nod for Florida and the first time for the firm’s five California offices which include more than 200 attorneys across Los Angeles, Orange County, Sacramento, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley.
“We are honored to be named a Law360 California powerhouse. This prestigious distinction for our California offices underscores the tremendous amount of talent and legal prowess at Greenberg Traurig. We thank our clients for the trust they place in us and the fact that they turn to the firm with their sophisticated legal problems in California, across the U.S., and around the world. That’s the mark of a great law firm: helping our clients achieve their business goals,” said Brian L. Duffy, chief executive officer.
The firm’s California attorneys maintained a track record of success, favorably litigating high-stakes cases, forging new ground in evolving areas of law, and handling complex, high-value transactions critical to the state’s largest industries, including agriculture, entertainment, intellectual property, and real estate. Greenberg Traurig attorneys also secured historic victories for global music icon Britney Spears in what was arguably the most high-profile court case of 2021.
Other notable cases included:
- A First Amendment victory for the publisher of Punchbowl News, where the court’s opinion in a trademark infringement lawsuit said freedom of expression is not outweighed by the public interest in avoiding consumer confusion.
- Helping RingCentral uncover that its competitor was orchestrating fake online reviews, a revelation that shed light on internet advertising practices and allegedly neutral third-party reviews, a result that will affect the e-commerce industry moving forward.
- Representing Medtronic, one of the largest medical device manufacturers in the world, in a dispute over restrictive covenants in an employment agreement.
- A landmark appellate victory for Blizzard Entertainment with repercussions for the multi-billion-dollar gaming industry.
“Being designated a powerhouse in California is a testament to our successful ability to adapt to the changing needs of our clients in an economically dynamic state on the cutting edge of many legal issues,” said Barbara A. Jones and Gregory A. Fishman, co-managing shareholders of the Los Angeles office, and Susan L. Heller and Bruce Fischer, co-managing shareholders of the Orange County office, in a joint statement. “Our attorneys are skilled at analyzing the issues impacting our region and helping clients understand the forces changing the broader economic landscape.”
Additional headline-making transactions led by our California attorneys included:
- FAT Brands’ acquisition of Global Franchising Group, an owner and operator of more than 1,400 quick-service restaurant locations in 16 countries.
- Oaktree Capital Management’s sale of Power Factors, a California-based company that delivers software and services for the production of renewable energy.
- AFEX, a Los Angeles-based payments company, on its sale to Fleetcor Technologies, Inc.
- Several strategic real estate deals for KBS Real Estate Investment Trust in California and other jurisdictions.
- A significant content licensing deal for The Pokémon Company.
“We’ve grown our presence in California strategically, adding creative and trailblazing legal practitioners who appreciate the collaborative nature of our firm,” said Charles S. Birenbaum, chair of Northern California, G. Michelle Ferreira and Bradley R. Marsh, co-chairs of the San Francisco office, and William J. Goines, co-chair of the Silicon Valley office with Ferreira, in a joint statement. “That’s one of our core values, and it allows us to provide experience-based service to achieve meaningful success for our clients.”
“We are uniquely positioned to advise clients on the intricacies of California specific issues,” said Timothy Long and Kurt A. Kappes, co-managing shareholders of the Sacramento office. “Our presence in the state capital, combined with our extensive state law and tax advice capabilities, gives us an edge in providing legal counsel for our clients.”
Greenberg Traurig launched the Los Angeles office in 2000, followed by the Orange County and Silicon Valley offices in 2004, the Sacramento office in 2005, and the San Francisco office in 2010.
About Greenberg Traurig’s California Offices: Greenberg Traurig has more than 200 corporate, entertainment, government law and policy, intellectual property, litigation, real estate, and taxation attorneys in California, located in Los Angeles, Orange County, Sacramento, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley.
About Greenberg Traurig: Greenberg Traurig, LLP has more than 2500 attorneys in 43 locations in the United States, Europe, Latin America, Asia, and the Middle East. The firm reported gross revenue of over $2 Billion for FY 2021 and is consistently among the top firms on the Am Law 100, Am Law Global 100, and NLJ 250. On the debut 2022 Law360 Pulse Leaderboard, it is a Top 15 firm. Greenberg Traurig is Mansfield Rule 4.0 Certified Plus by The Diversity Lab and the Center for Resource Solutions Green-e® Energy program certifies that the firm’s U.S. offices are 100% powered by renewable energy. The firm is often recognized for its focus on philanthropic giving, innovation, diversity, and pro bono. Web: www.gtlaw.com.