John P. SchwartzShareholder email@example.com
John P. Schwartz, a member of the firm’s Real Estate Practice, has a great deal of experience in real estate finance, joint venture and acquisition and sale transactions. He has represented investment banks and insurance companies in commercial real estate financings, and pension fund advisory firms, insurance companies, private equity funds, REITs and other institutional investors in the acquisition, development and disposition of real property, joint venture transactions and real property secured financings. John has also represented lenders and other market participants in secondary market transactions, including whole loan and B-note sales, participations and securitizations.
- Complex commercial real estate transactions
- Joint venture transactions
- Purchase and sale transactions
- Real estate finance
- Construction lending
- Land development
- Represented one of America’s wealthiest family office companies in connection with the development of multiple industrial buildings located throughout the United States. Transaction size of approximately $50,000,000 to $100,000,000 per development. Transaction duties included negotiation of construction loan documents as borrower’s counsel and general due diligence related thereto.
- Represented a major U.S.-based REIT in connection with its potential acquisition of a retail mall located in the Philadelphia suburbs for redevelopment as mixed use development. Transaction size of redevelopment approx. $150,000,000. Duties included negotiation of purchase agreement and general due diligence related to planned redevelopment.
- Represented a major U.S.-based private equity company in connection with the development of a mixed use project in the Philadelphia suburbs. Transaction size of project approx. $350,000,000. Duties include negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, negotiation of construction loan documents, and general due diligence related thereto.
- Represented a major Philadelphia-based real estate private equity company in connection with its acquisition, redevelopment and sale of an industrial project located near the Philadelphia airport. Transaction value of approx. $180,000,000. Transaction duties included negotiation of acquisition agreement, related ground lease, joint venture agreement and sale agreement as well as general due diligence related thereto.
- Represented the subsidiary of a major insurance company and several related affiliates in a series of acquisition, joint venture and development transactions pertaining to office, industrial and mixed-use projects located throughout the United States.
- Advised the court-appointed liquidators of an insolvent Hong Kong-based subsidiary of a major U.S. investment bank on the structure, composition and legal status of the real estate-related debt and equity positions of the subsidiary, and served as transaction counsel for the liquidation of such positions.°
- Represented a real estate company headquartered in Southeastern Pennsylvania in connection with its acquisition and financing of a $98 million office building located in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.°
- Served as lender’s counsel to a major insurance company in connection with the origination a $75 million mortgage loan secured by approximately 600,000 square feet of Class A office and amenity space located in a mixed-used development in Southeastern Pennsylvania.°
- Represented the subsidiary of a major pension trust in connection with a $75 million mortgage loan secured by the subsidiary’s interest in a fully-leased, 390,000-square-foot, Class A office building in Atlanta, Georgia.°
- Represented a private equity fund in acquiring a $58 million office building in Alexandria, Virginia.°
- Represented the subsidiary of a major pension trust in connection with its obtaining construction financing to develop a project in Madison, Wisconsin consisting of 228 residential units and 15,000 square feet of commercial space.°
- Represented a major U.S.-based REIT in acquiring various subordinate debt positions – mezzanine loans, B-notes and participations among them – secured by retail properties across the United States.°
- Represented a private equity real estate fund in a series of joint venture transactions pertaining to office and mixed-use projects located throughout the United States.°
- Represented a private equity real estate fund in acquiring, financing and selling two Mid-Atlantic industrial property portfolios.°
- Represented a real estate investment management firm in investing and financing its acquisition of the majority interest in a $2.5 billion joint venture formed for the development or redevelopment of a 93-asset, 42-site portfolio of office, retail, hotel and multifamily residential properties located in the Washington, D.C. metro area.°
- Served as lender’s counsel in the origination of a $700 million mortgage loan secured by 119 office and research and development properties located in Silicon Valley.°
- Represented a private equity fund in acquiring and financing a $135 million portfolio consisting of 15 office buildings located in Colorado Springs, Colorado.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Schwartz prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2022-2023
- Listed, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” 2013-2016
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
J.D., magna cum laude, New York Law School, 2005
- Member, New York Law School Law Review
- Recipient, Prof. Lung Chu-Chen Human Rights Award
- B.S., cum laude, University of Pittsburgh, 2001
- New York