Alex Westerman ˘Shareholder Alex.Westerman@gtlaw.com
Alex Westerman focuses his practice on the area of international tax. He has deep experience and an education in different aspects of international taxation, including tax planning, mergers & acquisitions, tax accounting & reporting, personal income tax, VAT and transfer pricing, including experience in tax aligned supply chain. He is the first point of contact of several international operating oil & gas, consumer business and IP/software companies. Also, he has wide-ranging experience advising different sorts of funds (including investment funds and private equity funds) on their Dutch and international tax position. Most of Alex's clients have large Dutch based operations and are part of international operating companies with head offices in Europe (50 percent) and the United States (50 widely). He is widely recognized for his work synchronizing financial/audit and tax issues.
- International corporate tax planning
- Mergers and acquisitions
- International group reorganizations
- Structuring (Tax aspects of domestic and international projects)
- Business integration
- Implementation of EMEA central entrepreneur and sales support.
- M&A deals following integration of various divisions into one operating group.
- Set up of contract manufacturing arrangements in EMEA for Dutch head office.
- Managing (international) project teams regarding corporate tax, M&A and supply chain related projects, both on a case by case as well as on an ongoing basis.
- Acts for several clients as EMEA coordinator of the tax accounting & reporting process (FIN48, tax pack review).
- Set up of tax efficient international finance structure for corporate group, including advisory to the listing of the indenture at an European stock exchange.
- Project financing: convertible bond issue, through private placement, to finance startup operations in Eastern Europe.
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, The Legal 500 Netherlands, Tax, 2019 and 2022
- Team Member, PERE Global Awards, Law Firm of the Year: Fund Formation in Europe, 2018
- Member of the Dutch Association of Tax Advisers (NOB)
- Member, Tax Committee, American Chamber of Commerce
- Faculty of Law, Fiscal Law, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 1996
- The Netherlands
- Dutch, Native
- English, Fluent
- French, Conversational
- German, Conversational