Somer Hayes counsels health care providers and organizations on a broad range of regulatory, operational, compliance and transactional matters.
Somer advises on regulatory and transactional matters involving hospitals, physician groups, long-term care providers, assisted living facilities, inpatient rehabilitation facilities, ambulatory surgery centers and other health industry clients. She has experience with the formation of joint ventures and the structuring of mergers and acquisitions in the health care space. She advises clients as they navigate issues related to the Stark law, the federal anti-kickback statute, HIPAA, HITECH, Medicare and Medicaid enrollment and changes of ownership. She also conducts regulatory due diligence and advises clients on licensing, accreditation, corporate governance and the corporate practice of medicine. Somer regularly drafts and negotiates management services agreements and employment agreements. She advises on telemedicine and telehealth and has represented practitioners in professional liability matters and licensing board investigations.
Prior to entering private practice, Somer worked as a registered nurse in various hospital and outpatient settings. She has broad experience with both the clinical elements of the health care industry as well as the practical business elements of providing those clinical services in a highly-regulated environment.
- Health care regulatory compliance
- Health industry mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships
- Corporate practice of medicine
- Medicare and Medicaid participation and compliance
- Stark Law, physician self-referrals and false claims
- Fraud and abuse and anti-kickback statutes
- Corporate formation, governance, and restructuring