Since our inception, Greenberg Traurig has built an inclusive firm based on equality, fairness, and authenticity. We understand the case for LGBT+ equality, and are proof positive that an inclusive, supportive environment is a better environment for all, including clients. Greenberg Traurig is proud to stand with the LGBT+ community, and those who support equality and inclusion for all. We are committed to actions that strengthen protections for the LGBT+ community. We are dedicated to the idea that every person deserves the opportunity to be safe from discrimination in life and at work. We understand and practice inclusion and count LGBT+ people at every level of our organization as evidenced by our score of 100 percent on the 2017 Corporate Equality Index (CEI), published by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. CEI is a benchmarking survey and report on corporate policies and practices related to LGBT workplace equality.
LGBT+ Engagement and Community Leadership
The work of the members of Greenberg Traurig’s LGBT+ Affinity Group, allies, and firm leadership has positioned the firm as a leader committed to supporting this community. Some of that work includes forging important relationships with key organizations. We actively participate in these organizations and provide financial support. A few of these relationships and activities are featured below.
- Out Leadership. Greenberg Traurig is an active sponsor of Out Leadership Summit in the U.S. Out Leadership is a mission-driven business advisory organization dedicated to the idea that inclusion of LGBT+ people at all levels of business, and particularly within leadership, creates positive business impact. Greenberg Traurig is a member of the Out Leadership Council and has been a name sponsor of Out in Law 2015 and Out in the Street 2015, Out Leadership 2016 and Out Leadership 2017.
Out in Law 2015
Out in Law 2016
Out in Law 2017
- Lambda Legal. Lambda Legal, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of LGBT+ people and everyone living with HIV. John R. Richards is a member of Lambda Legal’s National Board of Directors and the firm is proud to support their events
- National LGBT Bar Association & Lavender Law Career Fair & Conference. The National LGBT Bar Association (NLGBTBA), an affiliate of the American Bar Association. The NLGBTBA’s Lavender Law Career Fair and Conference addresses inclusion of LGBT+ candidates in law firm recruitment efforts.
- National Gay & Lesbian Task Force. The mission of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is to build the grassroots power of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. We are a longtime sponsor of the annual Task Force Dinner (Miami).
- Equality California, Equality Florida, Equality Illinois. These are strategic, state-based organizations that advocate for LGBT+ people. Attorneys and business staff in the firm’s Orlando office held a time of remembrance for the victims and families on the one-year anniversary of the Pulse nightclub. The gathering included items provided by an Orlando bakery, which committed to donate half of its sales proceeds to Equality Florida.
Pulse nightclub remembrance in the Orlando office
- Lawyers for Diversity. Lawyers for Diversity benefits Chicago’s LGBT+ community organizations.
- Stonewall Bar Association of Georgia, Inc. Greenberg Traurig is a Rainbow Sponsor of this state-wide legal organization devoted to LGBTQ legal professionals and causes. D. Barret Broussard serves on the Board of Directors and is Co-Chair of the Law Student Outreach Committee.
- The OUT Miami Foundation Gala. The firm supported OUT Miami Foundation’s annual event for LGBT+ people and allies to support an engaged, empowered, and united LGBT+ community in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders. Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE) is the United States’ largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of LGBT+ older adults. In June 2017, attorneys and business staff the firm’s New York Office served dinner at the Sage Center Midtown, during the firm’s annual Community Service Week.
- Center on Halsted. Center on Halsted is a comprehensive community center dedicated to advancing community and securing the health and well-being of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people of Chicagoland.
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation. In May 2017, Greenberg Traurig sponsored the ABA Section of Litigation’s LGBT Forum in San Francisco. The first of its kind for the Section of Litigation, the LGBT Forum addressed cutting-edge issues affecting LGBT lawyers and the larger LGBT community. Ricardo A. Gonzalez spoke on a panel titled, “Psychological Flexibility: How to Unhook from the Chatter of Your Mind and Achieve Values-Based Success.”
- International Bar Association. To coincide with the 2017 Mergers and Acquisitions in Latin America conference presented by the International Bar Association (IBA), Greenberg Traurig joined with a local firm to host a first-of-its-kind LGBT Seminar in Latin America which took place in March in Argentina. Randy A. Bullard, the chair of the IBA’s LGBTI Law Committee, and Stephen V. Pelliccia, participated as speakers.
- Victory Campaign Fund. Since 1991, Victory Fund has worked to change the face and voice of America’s politics and achieve equality for LGBTQ Americans by increasing the number of openly LGBTQ officials at all levels of government. David A. Catania serves on the Victory Campaign Fund board of directors. David, was the first openly LGBT Member elected to the Council of the District of Columbia (Washington, DC) where he was the principal author of the District’s Marriage Equality law in 2010.
Pro Bono Representation
As part of its global pro bono efforts, Greenberg Traurig supports and often offers a hands-on approach to legal issues critical to the LGBT+ community. Click here to view our Pro Bono page, including information about our partnership with Equal Justice Works.
Our attorneys have been recognized for their efforts to promote diversity. Click here to view a full listing of current and recent awards and accolades.