James E. GillenwaterShareholder firstname.lastname@example.org
James Gillenwater has represented clients such as Fortune 500 companies, world leaders, and Olympians in high-stakes international disputes, including trials and arbitrations. His litigation experience spans commercial and securities class actions, business disputes, intellectual property matters, and products liability cases. James has also handled complex white collar investigations and regulatory matters such as OFAC delistings and INTERPOL red notice cancellations. James’s international representations focus on Latin America, and have involved Argentina, Bolivia, China, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Haiti, Mexico, Panama, Spain, South Korea, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and Venezuela.
James has wide-ranging motion practice experience and has authored briefs for the U.S. Supreme Court, federal appellate and district courts, state courts, and a variety of government agencies. He has tried cases in both federal and state court and argued before courts across the country, including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- Won dismissal and attorneys' fees in civil RICO and theft of trade secrets lawsuit filed by a former U.S. President on behalf of an American tech company. See Law360, Trump's RICO Suit Against Clinton Dismissed As 'Manifesto'; Law.com, Judge Trashes Trump's RICO Lawsuit Against Hillary Clinton, Perkins Coie; Law360, Fla. Judge Hits Trump, Atty with Nearly $1M in Sanctions.
- Obtained dismissal of an insurance class action seeking interest on property claims on behalf of a major insurance company. See Insurance Journal, Florida Insureds Can’t Force Interest on Late Claims Payments, Courts Say; Daily Business Review, Florida Judge Rules Against Class Action Trend Seeking Interest on Insurance Claims; Law360, Insurer Doesn't Have To Pay Irma Award Interest, Judge Says.
- Won dismissal of a $75 million putative fraud class action on behalf of a U.K. digital payment company. See Law360, UK Payments Co. Escapes Claims It Aided $75M Forex Fraud.
- Argued and won summary judgment on behalf of a Chinese circuit board manufacturer in a multimillion-dollar international trademark infringement lawsuit. See Shenzhen Kinwong Elec. Co. v. Kukreja, 574 F. Supp. 3d 1191, 1195 (S.D. Fla. 2021).
- Secured suspension of INTERPOL Red Notice and release of client wrongfully imprisoned in Turkey in connection with the assassination of Haitian president. See Greenberg Traurig Secures Samir Handal’s Release from Turkish Prison and His Return to United States.
- Represented a Chinese tech company in a two-week breach of contract trial, precluding the plaintiff from recovering more than 99% of the damages sought, for which James’s trial team was named 2019’s most effective international litigators by the Daily Business Review. See also Law360, 11th Circ. Won't Touch Damages In Electronics Sale Suit.
- Obtained dismissal of a federal securities fraud action against a national health care administration company. See Law360, “'Boilerplate' Mednax Stock Drop Suit Dismissed,” and “Mednax Wins Ax Of Investors' Securities Suit.”
- Secured dismissal of a consumer class action against an international resort operator on forum non conveniens. See Law360, “Suit Over Sandals' Fake Local Taxes Dismissed By Fla. Court.”
- Argued and won numerous dispositive motions on behalf of a major transportation network company.
- Represented the former president and defense minister of a Latin American country in a month-long federal trial.°
- Obtained a seven-figure settlement in a federal breach of contract lawsuit on behalf of a Spanish agrochemical company.
- Represented professional soccer and rugby teams and athletes in antitrust actions, anti-doping cases, and disciplinary hearings before federal courts, judicial officers, and arbitral bodies, including the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
- Won dismissal of civil RICO and tort claims against a Latin American bank and its directors.°
- Achieved resolution of a series of mass tort cases for an international energy company.°
- Obtained dismissal of a federal securities fraud action against a major telecommunications company.°
- Navigated a DOJ Swiss bank investigation, ensuring the non-prosecution of a former executive.°
- Secured multiple OFAC sanctions delistings.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Gillenwater prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, P.A.
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, South Florida Business Journal, "40 Under 40," 2022
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, "Ones to Watch," Litigation - Securities, 2021-2022
- Listed, Benchmark Litigation, “40 & Under Hot List,” 2022
- Listed, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, "Pro Bono Honor Roll," 2021
- Law360, “Legal Lion,” 2020
- Daily Business Review, member of "Most Effective," International Litigation team, 2019
- Law360, “Legal Lion,” 2018
- Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2015
- World Rugby Judicial Panelist, 2017-2018
- Athlete Representative, United States Olympic Committee Athletes’ Advisory Council, 2010-2016
- United States National Rugby 7s Team
- Player, 2006-2009; Captain, 2009
- Co-Founder, United States Rugby Players Association, 2016
- Albert Schweitzer Fellow, Durham, North Carolina, 2010-2011
- Fulbright Scholar, English Teaching Assistant, La Universidad Nacional de la Pampa, Santa Rosa, Argentina, 2007
J.D., magna cum laude, Duke University School of Law, 2012
- Order of the Coif
- Note Editor, Duke Law Journal
- Justin Miller Award for Citizenship
- B.S., summa cum laude, Vanderbilt University, 2005
- Hon. Robert N. Chatigny, U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, 2012-2013
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Spanish, Fluent
- French, Fluent