James HernandezOf Counsel James.Hernandez@gtlaw.com
James practices in the public law area with an emphasis on public finance. He has deep experience working as bond counsel, disclosure counsel and underwriters’ counsel on a variety of public finance transactions for cities, counties and special authorities throughout Texas. James has additional experience in corporate and securities and real estate law.
James focuses on infrastructure development for roads, bridges, toll roads, other transportation facilities and municipal utility projects, as well as policy issues, legislation and state and federal agency rules and regulations that impact the financing and development of infrastructure projects. He also has wide-ranging experience working on a broad range of economic development, reinvestment zone and public/private projects, including the development and financing of hotels, convention centers and sports and entertainment facilities, among others.
- Advised Harris County on project development and financing matters for its toll road system. Also worked on operations, contracting, and legislative matters for the toll road system.°
- Worked in various capacities on transactions for several other transportation issuers, including the Brazoria County Toll Road Authority, the Fort Bend Grand Parkway Toll Road Authority, the Montgomery County Toll Road Authority, the North East Texas Regional Mobility Authority, Houston METRO, the Houston Airport System, City of Dallas/Love Field, the San Antonio Airport System, the Hidalgo County Regional Mobility Authority and the North Texas Tollway Authority.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Hernandez prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Rising Stars, 2005-2008
- KIPP Academy
- Regional Board of Trustees, 2018-Present
- Executive Board Member, 2001-2008
- Board of Directors, Coalition for Responsible Infrastructure Finance, 2015-Present
- Member, American College of Bond Counsel, 2017-Present
- Member, Teach for America Houston, 2020-Present
- Member, State Bar of Texas 1995-Present
- Member, Center for Houston’s Future, 2012
- J.D., Columbia Law School
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin