Irina KhasinOf Counsel Irina.Khasin@gtlaw.com
Irina Khasin is a trial lawyer who focuses her practice on complex civil litigation, white collar criminal defense, and government investigations. Irina has tried more than 30 jury trials as first chair and has been involved in dozens of investigations, many of which included complex fraud matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Irina served for eleven years as a prosecutor – four years as an Assistant United States Attorney at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia and seven years as an Assistant District Attorney for the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office. As an Assistant United States Attorney, Irina led Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Taskforce investigations and prosecutions involving wiretaps and electronic surveillance techniques; served as Opioid Overdose Death Coordinator; prosecuted complex fraud, human trafficking, child exploitation, firearms offenses, and violent crimes; and advised and assisted agents in preparing search warrants and conducting long term investigations.
Irina has advised and worked closely with a variety of federal and local law enforcement agencies, including The Federal Bureau of Investigation, The Drug Enforcement Administration, The Internal Revenue Service, Homeland Security Investigations, The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, The United States Postal Service, U.S. Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, offices of attorneys general, police departments, and district attorneys' offices.
- Assisted multiple federal law enforcement agencies, including the Drug Enforcement Administration, Internal Revenue Service, and Homeland Security Investigations, in the investigation and indictment of a case involving bank fraud, money laundering, credit application fraud, and related charges against the CEO and CFO of a major foreign airline.°
- Conducted a one-week jury trial on behalf of the United States involving charges related to embezzlement from a beneficiary account funded by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, resulting in a guilty verdict and restitution award.°
- Prosecuted multiple defendants on federal charges of bank fraud, mail fraud, and money laundering, involving an enterprise in which they obtained luxury cars through fraudulent means and then leased the vehicles to drug traffickers who paid with cash from drug sales.°
- Led the prosecution of three defendants charged with a conspiracy to commit bank fraud, identify theft, and money laundering related to a complex multimillion-dollar scheme targeting the brokerage accounts of high-net-worth individuals.°
- Conducted more than two dozen jury trials prosecuting crimes against women and children, including child exploitation, human trafficking, and child kidnapping, resulting in guilty verdicts on every occasion.
- Served as lead counsel in the prosecution of a range of complex matters brought as part of the Department of Justice’s Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Taskforce (OCDETF).°
°The above representations were handled by Ms. Khasin prior to her joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Assistant United States Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia, 2018-2023
- Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Section
- General Crimes Section
- Fulton County District Attorney’s Office, 2011-2018
- Chief Senior Assistant District Attorney
- Director, Human Trafficking Unit & Sexual Assault Kit Initiative Taskforce
- Deputy Director, Crimes Against Women & Children Unit
- Summer Extern, United States Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Tennessee, 2007
Recognition & Leadership
- Recognized, Georgia Legal Awards “On The Rise,” 2022
- Recognized, Atlanta Bar Association’s Thomas J. Waldrop Truth & Justice Award, 2019
- Recognized, Trial Combat Award, 2015
- Recognized, Lewis Slaton Highest Achievement Award, 2014 (awarded to the highest achieving prosecutor in the Atlanta Judicial Circuit)
- Recognized, Crimes Against Women & Children “Rookie” Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Board of Advisors, Next Generation Men & Women, 2016-2019
- Member, LEAD Atlanta, Class of 2017
- Board of Directors, MindLeaps, formerly the Rebecca Davis Dance Company, 2011-2014
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2009
- Article Selection Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Southern California, 2006
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Law and Society
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Hon. C. Lynwood Smith, Jr., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama, 2009-2010
- Russian, Fluent