Jacobus D. MachalowShareholder Jacobus.Machalow@gtlaw.com
Jacobus (Jack) Machalow structures development deals and negotiates joint ventures for both capital partners and developers and operators. Jack also organizes private real estate investment funds and negotiates and closes acquisitions, dispositions, and equity and debt financing transactions. He also regularly represents private investors, private equity funds, pension fund advisors, fund managers, and developers in mergers and fund investments.
- Represented various developers and capital partners in numerous development joint ventures and related transactions across the United States.°
- Represented an opportunity fund sponsor in the formation of a $250 million real estate and equipment fund focused on industrial and creative office opportunities.°
- Represented an emerging New York based real estate group on the formation of its first real estate fund: a $160 million value added fund seeded by a large institutional investor.°
- Represented one of the largest "green" developers in the United States in the formation and equity raise for its second fund.°
- Represented private individuals in the contribution of their portfolio of retail properties into an UPREIT-structured private equity fund for total consideration of more than $100 million.°
- Represented a private equity client in a series of joint ventures with an insurance company subsidiary for the development of multi-family projects in Northern California and in Brooklyn, New York (totaling more than $400 million).°
- Represented a pension fund client in a $200 million joint venture, purchase, and financing of retail space in Times Square, New York City.°
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in joint ventures and financing for the acquisition of industrial properties in various states.°
- Represented a private equity client in the acquisition, financing, and restructuring of ground lease interests in a multi-family project in San Luis Obispo, California for $80 million.°
- Represented private equity funds in outbound cross-border investment in Mexico and Brazil and the negotiation of numerous joint venture platforms for the acquisition and development of industrial, retail, and residential projects totaling more than $1 billion.°
- Represented Prudential Real Estate Investors in connection with the negotiation of numerous joint venture platforms for investments in industrial, retail, and residential development and landbank opportunities in Mexico.
- Represented The John Buck Company in connection with the development, refinancing, and sale and lease of the mixed-use hotel and corporate housing project at 505 N. State Street in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented AmTrust Bank (f/k/a Ohio Savings Bank) in connection with construction financing for multiple high-rise residential condominium towers located in the Museum Park Campus in Chicago, Illinois and subsequent loan workouts.
- Represented Prime Property Investors in connection with the sponsorship and formation of a targeted real estate fund, and an acquisition financing facility, for the acquisition of a multi-family property in the Chicago area.
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in connection with the purchase, sale, and financing of multi-family apartment buildings, as well as general corporate and compliance issues.
- Represented a mortgage company with offices throughout the United States in connection with its dissolution, including loan workouts with secured creditors.
- Represented a lender in a several hundred million dollar refinancing of a portfolio of resort hotels in Mexico.
- Represented a joint venture between an investment fund and the FDIC in connection with its acquisition of a portfolio of non-performing mortgage loans and subsequent foreclosure actions.
- Represented an investment fund in connection with the acquisition of, and acquisition financing for, a portfolio of gas station properties in Chicago, Illinois and the negotiation of a fuel supply (jobber) agreement with a fuel wholesaler.
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Machalow prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2021-2023
- Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2018-2019, 2021-2022
- Northern California Real Estate, Band 4, 2022
- Northern California Real Estate, Up and Coming, 2021
- Northern California Real Estate, Recognized Practitioner, 2018-2019
J.D., cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 2008
- Harno Scholar
- Associate Editor, Law Review
- B.A., with high honors, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2005