Kenneth A. PhilbinShareholder Kenneth.Philbin@gtlaw.com
Kenneth Philbin is a shareholder in Greenberg Traurig’s Real Estate Operations Practice. He represents prominent New York and national real estate owners, managers and developers in all manner of disputes and litigations arising out of the ownership and operation of commercial real estate. Although Ken’s practice is primarily focused on real estate matters, he also represents clients in general commercial litigation.
- Real estate litigation
- Commercial litigation
- Appellate practice
- Administrative proceedings
- Commercial Leasing
- Real estate bankruptcy
- Construction and lien disputes
- Property security issues
- P62 LLC v. WFP Retail Co. L.P., Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co., Index No. 650649/2018 (judgment entered following bench trial dismissing multimillion-dollar breach of contract claims against client and awarding judgment on counterclaims).
- Ansonia Commercial, LLC v. Gristede’s Foods, Inc., 2016 NY Slip Op 50937(U) (A.T. 1st Dep’t) (successfully appealed Civil Court’s determination that landlord could maintain nonpayment proceeding on basis of written demand not served in accordance with RPAPL).
- 520 Madison Owners, L.L.C. v. VH Madison, Inc. & Victor Hugo, Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co., Index No. 161939/2014 (judgments in excess of one million dollars entered against commercial tenant and individual guarantor for rent arrears, post-eviction damages and attorneys’ fees).
- P.J. Clarke’s on the Hudson, LLC v. WFP Retail Co. L.P., Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co., Index No. 155617/2014 (tenant’s multi-million dollar claims arising from landlord alterations and construction settled on terms favorable to client).
- 300 Park Avenue, Inc. v. Café 49, Inc., 89 A.D.3d 634, 933 N.Y.S.2d 274 (1st Dep’t 2011) (rejecting lease guarantor’s argument that he had satisfied “good guy” conditions of guaranty and affirming a judgment of approximately $1 million against the guarantor and commercial tenant for rent arrears, post-eviction damages and attorneys’ fees).
- New Stadium LLC v. Greenpoint-Goldman Corp., 2010 N.Y. Slip Op. 30869(U), 2010 WL 1637087 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co. 2010) (summary judgment granted following completion of discovery dismissing $50 million tortious interference claims asserted against owner of commercial property by former proposed assignee of ground lease).
- 457 Madison Ave. Corp. v. Lederer De Paris, Inc., 51 A.D.3d 579, 859 N.Y.S.2d 135 (1st Dep't 2008) (affirming a multi-million dollar judgment against a commercial tenant and its guarantors for rent arrears, late fees and attorneys' fees due to the landlord and declaring that the tenant failed to exercise its lease renewal option).
- L’Art De Jewel Ltd. v. Hudson Sheraton Corp. LLC, 46 A.D.3d 418, 850 N.Y.S.2d 3 (1st Dep’t 2007) (reversing the lower court’s award of summary judgment to a commercial tenant that sued its landlord for a purported breach of an exclusivity provision contained in the tenant’s lease and dismissing the claim in its entirety).
- Vanderbilt Holdings, LLC v. Greenpoint-Goldman Corp., Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co., Index No. 107408/05, Order entered 7/18/07 (summary judgment granted to a ground lessee directing specific performance of the fee owner’s obligation to consent to an assignment of the ground lessee’s interest in the lease).
- 457 Madison Ave. Corp. v. Lederer De Paris, Inc., 2006 N.Y. Slip Op. 51164(U), 2006 WL 1747429 (A.T. 1st Dep’t 2006) (affirming a commercial landlord’s right to litigate its rent claims in a plenary action before the Supreme Court).
- Andrews 44 Coffee Shops Inc. v. TST/TMW 405 Lexington, L.P., Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co., Index No. 603952/04, Order dated 2/23/06 and Judgment entered 4/19/06 (summary judgment granted to a commercial landlord dismissing in its entirety the tenant’s action for a permanent injunction prohibiting the landlord from implementing security measures and seeking damages based upon the landlord’s alleged breaches of lease).
- Nestor v. Britt, 270 A.D.2d 192, 707 N.Y.S.2d 11 (1st Dep’t 2000) (affirming an award of attorneys’ fees to the prevailing party).
- Nestor v. New York State Div. of Hous. and Community Renewal, 257 A.D.2d 395, 683 N.Y.S.2d 74 (1st Dep’t 1999) (affirming a tenant’s right to intervene in an Article 78 proceeding between the landlord and DHCR and the subsequent dismissal of the landlord’s petition).
- Other Significant Representations:
- Represented international retailer in “all stores” closure and resolution of long-term lease liabilities.
- Successfully resolved buyout of Times Square retail tenant’s multi-million dollar end-of-term lease obligations.
- Defended commercial landlord in construction arbitration wherein tenant sought more than $80 million in liquidated damages resulting from landlord’s alleged failure to timely complete work.
- Represented international hotel company in connection with third-party discovery obligations in nationwide class-action lawsuits and municipal tax actions.
- Represented international hotel company in termination of commercial leases and eviction of tenants at locations nationwide.
- Represented international corporation and property owner in multi-party environmental contamination dispute.
- Recovered vacant possession of stores in commercial shopping center to facilitate development of the site by a national retail company.
Recognition & Leadership
- Team Member, U.S. News - Best Lawyers®, Best Law Firms Edition, "Law Firm of the Year," Real Estate - Litigation, 2017 and 2022
- Team Member, Chambers & Partners USA Real Estate Law Firm of the Year, 2010, 2017-2018, and 2022
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2013-2022
- Listed, "Rising Star," 2011
- Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
- Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011, 2012, and 2022
- Member, American Bar Association
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1997
- B.A., State University of New York at Buffalo, 1993
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey