Daniela Reyes RodríguezAssociate email@example.com
Daniela Reyes Rodríguez coordinates the Pro Bono Program for Greenberg Traurig's Mexico City office.
She has focused her professional practice on defending the human rights of migrants and asylum seekers and has handled several matters mainly related to detention, immigration alerts, and refugee status processes. In addition, Daniela leads a project that advises journalists and women human rights defenders who are persecuted and seek for asylum in Mexico.
Daniela’s areas of focus also include immigration and asylum law, constitutional litigation, international human rights law, and filing petitions and requests for precautionary measures before international mechanisms for the protection of human rights.
- Team leader in a research project developed in partnership with the organization Access Now, regarding biometric data collection laws in immigration processes.
- Represented the Afghanistan Women's Flag Football Team in its process to obtain political asylum in Mexico.
- Represented a woman who is a human rights defender from Nicaragua, who was persecuted in her country due to her work in defense of the environment. In addition to constant police persecution, the NGO founded by the defender was illegally closed down. Managed to secure her entry to Mexico, obtain an immigration permit for humanitarian reasons, and now they are waiting for the authorities to issue a final decision on her refugee process.
- Advised two Cuban journalists who were arbitrarily detained, tortured, and expelled from the island due to their activism against the regime. Upon entering Mexico, they were detained due to their irregular immigration status. Through an amparo trial, she obtained their release and get immigration permits for humanitarian reasons for both of journalists.
- Represented a woman who is human rights defender from El Salvador, who has been persecuted for her activism against gender violence and be part of the political opposition of that country and obtained refugee status for her and her daughter.
- Asylum Director, NGO Mexican Commission for the Defense and Promotion of Human Rights., 2018-2021
- External Consultant, Observatory of the Inter-American Human Rights System, National Autonomous University of Mexico, 2015-2018
- Research Assistant, Institute of Legal Research, National Autonomous University of Mexico, 2012-2015
- Law Degree (J.D. equivalent), Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico City, Mexico, 2017
- Spanish, Native
- English, Fluent