Robert SandersOf Counsel firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Sanders focuses his practice on governmental, administrative and real estate matters. Prior to joining the firm, former West Palm Beach Mayor Nancy Graham brought Sanders out of semi-retirement to serve as Deputy City Attorney. In that position, Sanders was in charge of city transactions and pivotal economic development projects. He also served as a board member of the Economic Council of Palm Beach County. Sanders then became the City Administrator of West Palm Beach. Sanders was a key negotiator and advisor crafting deals in West Palm Beach, including projects such as the Convention Center, the redevelopment of the West Palm Beach Auditorium, and the city’s previous baseball stadium site, and today’s The Square, previously named City Place, a $750,000,000 development of 72 vacant acres in downtown West Palm Beach.
Before his tenure with the City of West Palm Beach, he was a venture capitalist providing capital and organizational consulting to new and expanding business ventures. Bob had retired as the President and Chief Operating Officer of a nationally recognized real estate development company that developed, constructed and managed regional and local retail malls, office buildings and hotels.
- Governmental and administrative law
- RFQ/RFP strategist
- Management and disposition of property
- Planning and zoning
- Equity and debt financing
- Venture capital
- Real estate
- City of West Palm Beach, Florida, 1994-1999
- City Administrator, West Palm Beach
- Reported to the Mayor of West Palm Beach; coordinated all department, division and agency activities; special liaison between the Mayor, the City Commission and all departments, divisions, boards and commissions, as well as the County Commission and county administration; performed administrative and executive duties as were assigned by the Mayor; oversaw an $86M general operating budget, a $62M utilities fund, and various capital funds; oversaw approximately 1,300 full-time employees and ten full-service departments including police, fire, public utilities (water, wastewater, engineering, streets maintenance, public works), recreation, library, human resources, support services, finance, planning, zoning and building, economic and community development.
- Deputy City Attorney/Deputy City Administrator, West Palm Beach
- City's Key Negotiator in major matters including all significant economic impact Development Projects and transactions including the redevelopment of a 75 acre blighted area in downtown West Palm Beach into a $500,000,000 Mediterranean style mixed use retail, entertainment, restaurant, cultural, office and residential development with a Convention Center.
- President and Chief Operating Officer, The Goodman Company, West Palm Beach, Florida, 1972-1990
- Negotiated complex land purchases and sales, over 300 leases, reciprocal easement agreements, construction agreements and shopping center joint ventures.
- Directed growth of the company with personal involvement in the recruitment, compensation determination and training of all executive-level employees.
- Coordinated and supervised the development, municipal approvals and construction of many of the company's projects, including its flagship projects, Phillips Point, a multi-million dollar mixed-use urban office/retail complex in West Palm Beach, Florida, and The Esplanade, a high-quality upscale specialty retail development on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, Florida.
- Executive Vice President - Financial, Legal and Administrative Affairs, Docktor Pet Centers, Inc., Wilmington, MA, 1967-1972
- Developed and implemented overall business plan and National Franchise Program of a national chain of full-line pet centers.
- Established and managed the in-house Legal Department including the negotiation of numerous leases, subleases, franchise and partnership agreements, and the acquisition of a major competitor.
- Coordinated the public underwriting of the company's stock and was instrumental in directing the expansion of the company from 8 to 110 retail units.
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2010-2023
- Recognized, Palm Beach Illustrated, "Top Lawyers," 2018-2019
- Team Member, Best Lawyers in America® "Top Listed – Government Relations," 2018
- Team Member, a U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Government Relations Law Firm of the Year," 2014
- Ranked, Tier 1 – Government Relations, Miami Metropolitan Area
- Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
- Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011, 2012, and 2022
- Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2017
- Current and Founding Board Member, West Palm Beach Library Foundation
- Past Chairman
- Board Member, Palm Beach County Film and Television Commission
- Board Member, West Palm Beach Downtown Development Authority
- Past Chairman
- Board Member, Economic Forum of Palm Beach County
- Past President and Board Member, Chamber of Commerce of the Palm Beaches
- Founder, Past Chairman and Board Member, Cities in Schools
- Past Board Member, Epilepsy Association of the Palm Beaches
- Past Chairman of the Board, Governors Club
- Past Board Member, Palm Beach International Film Festival
- Past Board Member, The Economic Council of Palm Beach County
- Past Board Member, The Adam Walsh Children's Fund
- Bailli Honoraire (Past President), Chaine des Rotisseurs - Bailliage de Palm Coast
- J.D., Temple University Beasley School of Law
- B.S., Accounting, Temple University