Barry SenterfittShareholder email@example.com
Barry Senterfitt focuses his practice on the insurance and managed care industries. His practice includes assisting clients with acquisitions and mergers of insurers, HMOs and insurance agencies; holding company transactions for insurers and HMOs, including state insurance holding company act compliance; HMO formation and licensure; insurance company formation and licensure, including offshore captives; redomestications of insurers; demutualizations and other complex corporate reorganizations; financial and reinsurance issues for insurers and HMOs; and plans of rehabilitation for insolvent or troubled insurers.
Barry has experience designing and structuring innovative insurance marketing/distribution systems; acquisitions of insurance charters out of receivership; regulatory issues for life, health and property/casualty insurers and Medicaid and Medicare insurers/HMOs; formations of insurance purchasing cooperatives; risk-based capital requirements for insurers and corporate restructuring relating thereto; insurance asset sales through assumption and portfolio reinsurance; regulatory issues affecting health care provider groups; and product design and approval for insurers and HMOs.
- Insurance regulatory
- Represented insurance companies, HMOs and insurance brokers in various transactions, including:
- Acquisition of Wisconsin and Texas Medicaid business from Humana.°
- Acquisition of GAINSCO County Mutual by Liberty Mutual.°
- Acquisition of GlobalHealth by Heritage Health System.
- Acquisition of Monticello Insurance Company by Max Re.°
- Sale of General Agents Insurance Company to Montpelier Re U.S. Holdings.°
- Sale of SCOR Life by SCOR Global Life.
- Represented reorganizations/redomestications including the demutualization of Millers Mutual Insurance Company (conversion to stock company).°
- Drafted fronting arrangements and unique reinsurance transactions for companies.
- Counseled on formations and holdings company structures for insurance companies and HMOs.
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Senterfitt prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Former Briefing Attorney, Supreme Court of Texas, 1986-1987
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America
- Insurance Law, 2007-2023
- Reinsurance Law, 2016-2023
- Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2021-2023
- Team Member, BTI Power Rankings, “The 16 Strongest Firms for ‘Go-To Outside Counsel’ Insurance Work,” 2016
- Listed, Texas' Best Lawyers, 2009-2010
- Listed, World's Leading Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (8th Ed.)
- Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5.0
°AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM and Martindale-Hubbell NotableSM are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies.
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Surplus Lines Law Group
- Former Board Member, SafePlace
- Former President, CASA of Travis County
- Former Vice Chair, ABA Committee on the Public Regulation of Insurance Law
J.D., with honors, Texas Tech University School of Law, 1986
- Order of the Coif
- Managing Editor, Texas Tech Law Review
B.B.A., Accounting, with honors, Texas A&M University, 1983
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi