Mark E. ShafferShareholder email@example.com
Mark E. Shaffer is a first chair trial attorney with significant courtroom experience. He litigates matters in state and federal courts in Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia, and throughout the United States. He focuses his practice on construction litigation, land use litigation, leasing disputes, and eminent domain. His clients include commercial landlords, food, beverage and hospitality companies. He also represents owners, contractors, developers, design professionals, and project engineers. He regularly handles matters related to claims of design defects, differing site conditions, change orders, and delay claims, as well as zoning appeals, development agreements, easement rights, and restrictive covenant disputes. In addition to litigating matters, Mark advises on legal issues, helps clients devise legal strategies, and participates in settlement negotiations.
Mark also maintains a government contract litigation practice, counseling clients on contract termination claims, teaming agreement disputes, disputes between prime and subcontractors, and non-compete agreement disputes.
Mark’s corporate and business litigation experience includes matters involving fraud, conversion, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and derivative actions. He regularly assists shareholders with enforcing their rights to inspect corporate books and records, to obtain accountings of their investments and corporate assets, and to hold corporate officers and directors accountable for breaches of their corporate duties.
Mark previously served on active duty in the United States Marine Corps, including in Iraq. He continues to serve with the United States Marine Corps Reserves.
- Business litigation
- Commercial litigation
- Construction law
- Government contracting
- Land use and eminent domain
- Real estate law and transactions
- Obtained $24 million judgment in favor of landowner in highly contentious condemnation matter.°
- Argued, briefed, and won motion striking testimony of landowners’ expert witnesses in inverse condemnation matter.°
- Argued, briefed, and won motion striking testimony of expert witness testimony opposing multimillion-dollar mixed-use development.°
- Argued, briefed, and won motion to strike, obtaining dismissal with prejudice of $1 million fraud claim against major financial institution.°
- Negotiated a multimillion-dollar settlement on behalf of a minority shareholder as part of a corporate buyout.°
- Second-chaired and prevailed in trial on behalf of large S&P 400 company that sought to move forward with multimillion-dollar mixed-use development.°
- Second-chaired and prevailed in trial on behalf of large developer in condemnation action.°
- First-chaired and prevailed on hearing granting energy company immediate access to numerous landowners’ properties during condemnation matters.°
- First-chaired and obtained dismissal of claims brought against board members for wrongful dissolution of the corporation.°
- First-chaired and obtained judgment for claims based on fraud and breach of fiduciary duty and fraud in derivative action brought against owner of Limited Liability Company.°
- First-chaired and obtained dismissal of breach of contract and violations of the Maryland Consumer Protection Act against major telecommunications client.°
- First-chaired and prevailed in construction dispute brought against the contractor for the defective construction of a dance studio.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Shaffer prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Infantry Platoon Sergeant/Operations Chief, United States Marine Corps and United States Marine Corps Reserves, 1993-2023
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, “Rising Stars,” 2017
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Virginia Super Lawyers, “Rising Stars,” 2017
- Member, Fairfax County Bar Association
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Baltimore
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States