Gregory T. SturgesOf Counsel firstname.lastname@example.org
Greg is an experienced litigator in mass tort and commercial litigation representing medical device makers, pharmaceutical companies, metals manufacturers, and equipment makers. He has defended varied mass torts over the years, including matters involving medical devices, pharmaceuticals, environmental exposures, and asbestos products. Based in Philadelphia, Greg enjoys finding creative solutions to his clients’ litigation problems, whether it be a mass action removal under the Class Action Fairness Act, a Daubert challenge to a novel causation theory, or applying traditional common law doctrine in a new context. Greg is admitted in all Pennsylvania state and federal courts and has also practiced in state and federal courts around the country. He prides himself on a depth and breadth of substantive legal and procedural knowledge. Always, his goal is to win the case, but he seeks early and cost-effective alternatives to litigation whenever possible.
- Won dismissal of foreign affiliate companies on personal jurisdiction grounds in dozens of suits alleging plaintiffs developed cancer as a result of exposure to ethylene oxide.
- Defended major medical device companies in personal injury litigation, including cases involving IVC filters, mesh, intraocular lens implants, brain stimulators, spinal screws, various surgical tools, and other devices.
- Won key dispositive rulings in medical device cases, including on Comment k to Rule 402A, federal preemption, and plaintiff’s failure to allege injury.
- Removed 106 pharmaceutical personal injury cases from Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas under Class Action Fairness Act’s mass action provision, resulting in transfer of litigation to federal MDL proceeding.
- Defended various drug (brand and generic) in personal injury litigation pending in federal and states courts in Pennsylvania, including prevailing on various federal preemption issues.
- Defended generic pharmaceutical company in coordinated opioids litigation in Pennsylvania state court.
- Tried bellwether environmental tort case involving alleged exposure to industrial waste in Southern Indiana, resulting in defense verdict and affirmance following exhaustive appeals.°
- Defended major equipment manufacturer in state and federal asbestos litigation around the country, coordinating defense in more than a dozen active jurisdictions.°
- Secured a forum non conveniens dismissal for U.S. parent company of Brazilian aluminum manufacturer in which employee of Brazilian subsidiary alleged toxic exposure at plant.°
- Removed class action to Louisiana federal court under diversity jurisdiction and Class Action Fairness Act, resulting in dismissal following removal's affirmance.°
- First chaired JAMS arbitrations for major food manufacturer being pursued by employees alleging misclassification under the Fair Labor Standards Act’s outside sales exemption.
- Experienced litigating disputes over commercial real estate leases.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in favor of medical device client in multi-million dollar contract dispute brought by health care provider alleging product recall destroyed plaintiff’s nascent business.
- Defended loan servicing company in varied FDCPA, consumer protection law, abuse of process, Dragonetti Act, RESPA, quiet title, and other common claims in consumer finance litigation, winning motions to dismiss and summary judgment rulings in many cases.
- Defended start-up tech company in multi-million dollar suit arising out of verbal contract, defeating novel theories of liability against later-acquiring parent company.
- Defended major wireless carrier in varied litigation, including consumer lawsuits and commercial litigation.
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Sturges prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Intern, Federal Communications Commission, Summer 2003
Recognition & Leadership
- Team Member, a Law360 “Product Liability Practice Group of the Year,” 2021
- Team Member, The American Lawyer’s “Regional Litigation Department of the Year - Pennsylvania,” Finalist, 2018
J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School, 2005
- Member, The George Washington International Law Review
- B.A., with distinction, Pennsylvania State University, Schreyer Honors College, 2002
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania