David Thomas is a litigation, trial, and appellate attorney focusing on defending companies against unfair or deceptive business practices claims in individual and putative class action settings. Among other things, David represents (1) manufacturers and retailers facing false advertising claims arising out of alleged violations of federal and state consumer protection statutes, including the Federal Trade Commission Act and "little FTC Acts" like Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A – the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act, and (2) lenders, mortgage brokers and servicers facing predatory lending and unfair servicing claims arising out of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), and state laws governing consumer financing and mortgage loan servicing. David also has represented companies and individuals facing securities law claims in an individual and class action setting and companies responding to civil investigative demands under the False Claims Act and state laws and enforcement actions brought by federal and state regulatory agencies, including the United States Department of Justice, Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General, and other federal and state agencies.
- Defending unfair and deceptive business practices claims
- Defending FLSA and state wage and hour claims brought by employees, including claims under the Massachusetts TIP Act.
- Defending and prosecuting intra-company litigation, including corporate, LLC, and partnership disputes
- Defending and prosecuting business and commercial claims between companies, including unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive business practices claims
- Electronic discovery; David has been certified as an e-Discovery Specialist by ACEDS