Elizabeth E. VailShareholder Liz.Vail@gtlaw.com
Elizabeth E. Vail focuses her practice on land use, zoning, and real estate litigation matters. She represents clients in land use and development applications before municipal boards, including zoning and planning boards in towns and villages in Suffolk County. Her commercial litigation practice involves the representation of clients in state and district courts.
Elizabeth has deep local government experience and currently serves as the Village Attorney for the Village of Sag Harbor. In this role, she represents the Village Board of Trustees, Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, and Board of Historic Preservation and Architectural Review.
Elizabeth also served as the Town Attorney for the Town of East Hampton, Assistant Town Attorney for the Town of Southampton, and as Assistant District Attorney for the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.
- Village Attorney, Village of Sag Harbor, 2021 to present, representing the Village Board of Trustees, Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board and Board of Historic Preservation and Architectural Review.
- Assistant Village Attorney, Village of Sag Harbor, 2018-2021, represented the Board of Historic Preservation and Architectural Review and worked on various Village Board matters.°
- Represented Georgica Green Ventures, the leading affordable housing developer on Long Island.°
- Represented The Southampton Hospital Association in establishing a Freestanding Emergency Department to be operated by Stony Brook Southampton Hospital in East Hampton.°
°The above representations were handled by Ms. Vail prior to her joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Town Attorney, Town of East Hampton, 2013-2015
- Assistant Town Attorney, Town of Southampton, 2005-2013
- Assistant District Attorney, Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, 2002-2005
Recognition & Leadership
- Member, Suffolk County Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Board Member, i-tri, Triathlon & Empowerment Program for girls, 2019-Present
J.D., St. John's University School of Law, 2002
- Articles Editor, Journal of Legal Commentary
- B.A., Dickinson College, 1995
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York