Douglas R. WeiderShareholder email@example.com
Douglas R. Weider has over 30 years of litigation experience with a focus on technology related disputes including patent litigation, trade secret litigation, and post-grant proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). A former Bell Labs engineer, Doug’s experiences have involved a wide range of technologies including computer software and hardware, electronic devices, and pharmaceuticals. He has tried dozens of cases before courts, arbitration panels and the PTAB.
- Patent litigation
- Post-grant proceedings including Inter Partes Review Proceedings (IPRs)
- Trade secret litigation
- Computer and software litigation
- Peloton Interactive, Inc. v. Echelon Fitness Multimedia, et al. Lead patent counsel for the defendants in a consolidated patent infringement case alleging infringement of 4 patents concerning online exercise systems.
- TriPlay, Inc. v. Whatsapp, Inc. Lead counsel for plaintiff in a patent infringement case alleging infringement of 4 patents covering electronic messaging.
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. V. Napo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Lead counsel for Glenmark in an 8-day trial before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution in a contract dispute regarding the development and commercialization of a pharmaceutical product. The Panel found for Glenmark on all grounds.
- Air Express Internations, d/b/a DHL Global Forwarding Corportion v. Log-Net, Inc. Represented Defendant in a commercial dispute involving trade secret misappropriation claims.
- Obtained arbitration ruling that software developer was not entitled to $15 million sought based on evidence that software was not able to perform according to specifications.
- Represented major telecommunications company in a trial overturning a Florida county's tax assessment on telecommunication switches because the switch software was not "embedded" as defined in the governing statute and thus not subject to property tax.
- Handled defense of multimillion-dollar class action suit against a leading desktop computer manufacturer. Testimony established that plaintiffs' alleged performance issues were the result of changes they had made to their own computers, not a common computer defect.
- Represented major consumer electronics company in various patent infringement matters.
- Represented bar code scanner manufacturer in multimillion-dollar patent infringement litigation involving patents directed to digital decoding of bar code scanning signals, optical filtering, and laser scan pattern generation.
- Represented branded and generic pharmaceutical companies in ANDA Hatch-Waxman litigations.
- Defended medical imaging equipment manufacturer against theft of trade secret claims.
- Echelon Fitness Multimedia v. Peloton Interactive, Inc. Lead counsel for petitioner concerning 4 inter partes review petitions regarding patents related to online exercise systems. The PTAB instituted IPRs as to all four patents with two decided in Petitioner’s favor and two dismissed after the parties’ settlement.
- WhatsApp, Inc. v.Triplay, Inc. Lead counsel for patent owner concerning patents related to electronic messaging systems.
- Limelight Networks v.Akamai Technologies, Inc. Represented Limelight as petitioner and patent owner concerning patents related to content delivery networks.
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, IAM magazine, "IAM Patent 1000," Litigation, 2022
- Member, Winning Team, New Jersey Law Journal’s "General Litigation Department of the Year" award, 2013
- Team Member, Lexology’s Client Choice Award USA & Canada, United States: New Jersey, 2013
J.D., with high honors, The George Washington University Law School, 1990
- Notes editor, George Washington University Law Review
- M.B.A., Case Western Reserve University, 1984
- B.S., Industrial Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1983
- Hon. Oliver Gasch, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit