Bennett I. DeutschShareholder firstname.lastname@example.org
Bennett Deutsch has been practicing law since 1980 and concentrates his practice in structuring and negotiating real estate transactions. He has represented REITs and developers in connection with complex acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, mergers and restructurings. He regularly deals with strategies to defer recognition of gain, REIT qualification issues, disguised sale issues and tax protection agreements, as well as issues involving New York City real property transfer tax.
- Merger of public REITs valued at $6 billion and the contemporaneous sale to third parties of $2 billion of target company assets.
- Spin-off by public REIT of its portfolio of debt and preferred equity investments to a newly-formed public REIT in which it retained 25 percent ownership.
- Acquisition of stock in a C corporation holding an office building followed by conversion of C corporation into a private REIT.
- Numerous capital market transaction for public REITs, including operating partnership exchangeable debentures.
- Disposition of portfolio of properties subject to tax protection.
- Mezzanine loans and preferred equity investments by REITs.
- Joint ventures held through private REITs, including liquidation of such ventures.
- Acquisition of properties in return for operating partnership units.
- Forward and reverse section 1031 exchanges, including TIC interests and including oversight of a series of ten exchanges by one taxpayer.
Recognition & Leadership
- Team Member, Chambers & Partners USA Real Estate Law Firm of the Year, 2017 and 2022
- Listed,The Legal 500 United States
- Real Estate - Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), 2019-2020
- Team Member, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2008-2013 and 2015-2019
- Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011, 2012, and 2022
- Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010
J.D., Columbia Law School, 1980
- Member, Columbia Law Review
B.S., summa cum laude, Brooklyn College, 1977
- Phi Beta Kappa
- New York