Rebecca Garibotto ZisekOf Counsel Rebecca.Zisek@gtlaw.com
Rebecca Zisek focuses her practice on litigation matters, regularly representing clients in class actions and other complex commercial disputes. She represents clients in a range of industries, including banking and financial services, hospitality, communications, and technology.
- Complex commercial litigation
- Class actions
- Financial services litigation
- Representation of bank in putative class action alleging maintenance fees were improperly imposed on a savings account. District court dismissed the action, finding it time-barred by a limitation of claims provision governing the account. Argued before the Second Circuit, which affirmed the dismissal. Wechsler v. HSBC Bank USA, N.A
- Representation of lender and affiliated companies in putative class action alleging failure to implement permanent modifications to loans. Compelled arbitration of all claims on an individual basis. McLean v. HSBC Finance Corp.
- Representation of mortgage servicing company in nationwide putative class action alleging violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Court granted motion to strike class allegations, WL and thereafter the matter was resolved. Maldonado v. HSBC Mortgage Services, Inc.
- Representation of bank in a case where plaintiff alleged that their account was not credited for deposited funds. Obtained dismissal of action following bench trial. Wang v. HSBC Bank USA, N.A.
- Representation of bank in case in which plaintiffs alleged multiple acts of money laundering and mail and wire fraud in violation of RICO. Successfully obtained dismissal of all claims. O’Hagin’s, Inc. v. UBS AG, et al.
- Provided analysis to assist client in assessing whether to file individual securities action or remain member of class in connection with high-stakes securities litigation.
- Extern, Hon. Mary L. Cooper, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2010
- Intern, Office of the Juvenile Public Defender, Essex County, NJ, 2008
- Intern, Office of Mayor Jun Choi, Edison, NJ, 2007
Recognition & Leadership
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, "Ones to Watch," 2021-2023
- Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2022-2023
- Litigation - Banking and Finance, 2023
- Team Member, The American Lawyer, “New Jersey Litigation Department of the Year,” 2022
- Team Member, Benchmark Litigation’s “New Jersey Law Firm of the Year,” Shortlisted, 2022
- Team Member, The American Lawyer’s “Regional Litigation Department of the Year – New Jersey,” Finalist, 2019
- Recipient, New Jersey Law Journal, “New Leaders of the Bar" Award, 2019
- Member, Winning Team, New Jersey Law Journal's "Class Action Litigation Department of the Year," 2016
A description of the selection methodology for the above awards can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Selected Participant, Inside-Out Prison Exchange Program, Spring 2009
J.D., magna cum laude, Seton Hall University School of Law, 2012
- Order of the Coif
- Associate Editor and Comments Editor, Seton Hall Law Review
- Board Member, Interscholastic Moot Court Board, 2011-2012
- Member, Civil Rights & Constitutional Litigation Clinic, 2011-2012
- B.A., Haverford College, 2009
- Hon. Marianne Espinosa, New Jersey Appellate Division, 2012-2013
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey