Paweł PietkiewiczShareholder Pawel.Pietkiewicz@gtlaw.com
Paweł Pietkiewicz focuses his practice on litigation and arbitration. He advises domestic and international clients across a wide range of litigation and arbitration cases. Paweł has extensive experience as an arbitrator in proceedings conducted on the basis of the rules of Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw, the Lewiatan Court of Arbitration, and the Court of Arbitration at the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris.
Paweł was involved in a number of group actions representing banks, insurers, developers and other firms. Paweł has also extensive experience with product liability cases.
Paweł is a member of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Polish Arbitration Committee, and the ICC Task Force on Decisions as to Costs. He was also the Chairman of the Appointing Committee of the Lewiatan Court of Arbitration and is entered on the list of arbitrators of that court.
- Commercial arbitration
- Commercial litigation
- Insurance claims
- Post M&A disputes
- Product liability
- Represented a European airline and leasing companies in proceedings related to the return of a plane leased to a local operator.
- Represented a drilling company in a number of court matters related to its activities.
- Represented a Dutch party in an investigation and in subsequent court proceedings related to misappropriation of real estate assets.
- Represented a Polish bank in a litigation brought to court by construction industry leaders against a governmental authority managing Polish national roads.
- Represented insurance companies in a number of cases concerning D&O insurance policies and BBBs.
- Represented insurance companies, including AIG, Allianz, PZU and foreign insurers, in claim processing and court proceedings in dozens of litigations related to property insurance.
- Represented a tobacco manufacturer in numerous individual and class action proceedings related to claims for personal injury caused by alleged tobacco-related diseases.
- Represented numerous producers of medical products in proceedings concerning claims related to personal injury due to the participation in clinical trials and the use of such products.°
- Represented producers of medical devices in proceedings related to claims arising from the use of such devices.°
- Represented producers of consumer goods in proceedings related to claims arising from the use of such goods.°
- Represented a bank in a case concerning a claim by over 1,200 individuals in connection with overpayments of credit installments denominated in a foreign currency.°
- Advised a developer in a case concerning residents' claims related to a building's defects.°
- Represented a bank in a case concerning the activity of a bank’s agent.°
- Represented a bank in a case concerning the amount of mortgage loan installments increased due to the deferment of the repayment of a part of the principal and interest.°
- Represented an insurer in a group action concerning a claim for the reimbursement of a back-end-load fee collected by the insurer for the termination of a unit-linked life insurance agreement.°
- Advised an insurer with respect to a group action which was prepared against it for the reimbursement of amounts retained after the payment of a surrender value for the termination of a unit-linked life insurance agreement.°
- Acted as sole arbitrator in a post M&A dispute between Russian parties (ICC Rules of Arbitration).
- Acted as presiding arbitrator in an international construction dispute regarding final settlement between parties in a construction consortium (Lewiatan Arbitration Court in Warsaw).
- Acted as counsel to an Employer in a construction arbitration regarding one of the major construction projects in Poland (ICC Rules of Arbitration).
- Acted as counsel to a major real estate fund in a post M&A arbitration dispute (Arbitration Court at the National Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw).
- Acted as counsel to a party in a post M&A dispute regarding an investment in wind farm project (ICC Rules of Arbitration).
- Acted as sole arbitrator in a dispute between a construction company and a leading producer of synthetic fuels (ICC Rules of Arbitration).°
- Acted as presiding arbitrator in a dispute between a state gambling monopoly and a licensee (ICC Rules of Arbitration).°
- Acted as presiding arbitrator in a dispute between construction companies and a south-eastern European state related to construction of road infrastructure (ICC Rules of Arbitration).°
- Acted as counsel to a party in an arbitration dispute regarding acquisition of shares of a Polish entity (ICC Rules of Arbitration).°
- Acted as an arbitrator in a corporate dispute over the ownership of shares between an Irish investor and a Polish entity (Arbitration Court of the National Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw).°
- Acted as an arbitrator in a dispute between a Dutch entity and a Polish car manufacturer regarding financing of car manufacturing operations (Lewiatan Arbitration Court in Warsaw).°
- Advised a Polish party in arbitration proceedings related to its failed investment in a south-eastern European state (Vienna Arbitration Rules).°
- Acted as counsel to a party in a post M&A arbitration dispute related to an investment in an automotive distribution network (ICC Rules of Arbitration).°
- Acted as counsel to a foreign party in a number of corporate disputes, including a dispute regarding a company’s dissolution (UNCITRAL ad hoc Rules of Arbitration).°
- Represented a foreign party in an arbitration related to the acquisition of a business in Poland (Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw).°
- Acted as counsel to a Polish party providing construction designs for big structures in a dispute regarding the collapse of a building in a south-eastern European state (ad hoc arbitration).°
- Acted as counsel to a consulting company related to damage allegedly caused by the professional negligence of that company (Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw).°
- Acted as counsel to a Polish party which lost its financing due to the withdrawal of its partner from a joint venture (Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw).°
- Acted a counsel to an American party disputing sale and exclusivity agreement (International Centre for Dispute Resolution).°
- Acted counsel to an American party disputing a sale and exclusivity agreement (International Centre for Dispute Resolution).°
- Acted as counsel to a Polish entity in a dispute with a Chinese supplier of bathroom fixtures (CIETAC Arbitration Court).°
- Acted as counsel to construction companies in various arbitration proceedings.°
- Acted as counsel to Polish, Romanian and Greek parties in recognition and enforcement proceedings of arbitration awards.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Pietkiewicz prior to his joining GREENBERG TRAURIG Nowakowska-Zimoch Wysokiński sp.k.
Recognition & Leadership
- Chambers Europe: Band 2 in Dispute Resolution (2020-2023) and Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (2022-2023); Band 2 in Most in Demand Arbitrators (2015-2021); Band 1 in Dispute Resolution (2015-2019)
- Chambers Global: Band 2 in Dispute Resolution (2020-2023) and Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (2022-2023); Band 2 in Most in Demand Arbitrators (2015-2021); Band 1 in Dispute Resolution (2015-2019)
- EMEA Legal 500: Hall of Fame in Dispute Resolution (2018; 2020-2023); Recommended in White Collar Crime (2020-2023); Leading individual in Dispute Resolution (2015-2020)
- IFLR1000: Leading Lawyer in Disputes (2017) and Energy and Infrastructure (2017)
- Who's Who Legal: Recommended in Arbitration (2018, 2022 - 2023), Product Liability Defence (2015 and 2022), and Commercial Litigation (2022).
- Benchmark Litigation Europe: Lawyer of the Year in Poland (2019), Dispute Resolution Star (2018, 2020)
- Best Lawyers: Recommended in Arbitration and Mediation, Litigation (since 2010)
- Member, Warsaw Bar Association
- International Advisory Board Member, Vienna International Arbitral Centre (2023-2025)
- Advocate, 2000
- DEA Droit International Privé on private international law and international arbitration; Studies on French civil and commercial law, Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris II
- Master of Law, the University of Warsaw, 1995
- Studies on French civil and commercial law, Universite Panthéon-Assas, Paris II
- Studies on European law, Utrecht University
- Studies at the Sociology Department, the University of Warsaw
- Polish, Native
- English, Fluent
- French, Fluent
- Russian, Fluent